Weatherking furnace repair

Old 05-24-15, 07:36 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weatherking furnace repair

Alright, I know I am probably going to get made fun of, but I did something extremely dumb. I bought a house that needs some work. By some, I mean a lot. I was in the crawl space working on putting new jacks to support under my hot water heater when I saw two wires coming down to my crawl space that had bare hot wires. Being that I have my first baby on the way I wanted to make the house as safe as possible. So, I do try to fix as many things a possible. So I rewired the two lines. One of these lines went to my furnace, the other went to my air conditioning unit. This is where the stupidity comes. When I went to hook everything back up SOME HOW I crossed the wires. I have no idea how I did that. Therefore, I had 220 going to my furnace and 120 going to my air conditioning unit.

I obviously did damage to my furnace. It will not turn on: heating, air conditioning, or the fan. I have reset the breaker, and the thermostat. I do have power going to the unit and the circuit board (120V now the I switched my wires around). There is no fuse on the circuit board.

I have a WeatherKing Furnace: Model #90TJ10EG501 the Circuit board is the 1012-925A.

I know this is a loaded question, but can anyone tell me anything else to check, or what kind of damage I have caused. It is suppose to be 90 plus degrees here on Monday and I have a 7 month pregnant wife that is NOT happy with me. All I was trying to do is make things better then I messed things up big time!

Old 05-24-15, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I doubt you'll have the system running by tomorrow but it's possible. That control board runs on 24vac. If you're lucky... just the transformer burned up.

Do you have a meter and know how to use it ?
In the following link is the manual for your furnace. The transformer is mounted on the front of the blower and will need to be checked. There is mention of fused transformer.

Part 49 on the drawing is the transformer.

GASHEAT/90tj.pdf

Old 05-24-15, 08:24 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That seems like something that should have been seen during the inspection. Was there a report?

Anyway, you have juice going to the circuit board. What about juice leaving the board? Try to download a schematic, if it isn't posted inside the cover. Use a multimeter to see where the breaks in current are. If the board is fried, you can order one online. Just take it step by step.

We have all done stupid things. When I was an auto mechanic, I forgot to remove the hose that goes, on the exhaust pipe which takes the exhaust out of the shop. I backed the car off the lift & it ripped half of the aluminum piping off the ceiling. All I heard was some old timer say, You really did it this time. I was only 18 but it was still stupid.

Old 05-24-15, 09:12 AM
R
Thank you for your reply. You are correct the transformer has no electric leaving it, only going into it. So far:

1.) I have electric coming into the furnace.
2.) I have electric at the circuit board.
3.) I have electric entering the transformer.
4.) I do not have electric exiting the transformer.

The transformer is melted and burnt. I will get another one ordered. I also pulled the circuit board and there doesn't not seem to be any burn marks on it. Hopefully that is a good thing! In the mean time I am going to go to wally world and by my wife an air conditioner so that I might be able to sleep in the bed tonight! (I'm only joking, she is very supportive of my screw ups.)

Thank you both for your replies! Only time will tell what the true damage is!

Old 05-24-15, 09:15 AM
R
Unfortunately, there was a lot not found on my inspection. However, the wife and I determined that we would take care of it and not put ourselves through the legal process. Thank you so much for you response. I am going to get the part ordered tonight and go from there!

Old 05-24-15, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
You may be able to find a transformer at the depot, lowes or a store like that. You don't have to use the exact same transformer. If the old transformer has a fused output then you'd need to install a fuse and fuseholder in the new circuit.

You do want to stay with the same wattage. If not listed get a 24vac 40va transformer.

Packard 2 ft. Mount Transformer-PF42440 - The Home Depot

Old 05-24-15, 03:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like you are on the right track. You just had to dive a little deeper into the pool.

Old 05-24-15, 07:00 PM
R
I got the transformer ordered. Unfortantly, HD, Lowes, nor Radio Shack had one in stock. Bummer! I should have it early in the week. (two day shipping). I also spoke with my brother and he ordered me a circuit board just incase it was bad. I think he just felt really bad for me! I will let you all know later in the week how everything goes. Thank you for everyone's support and not making fun of my lapse of good judgment!

I definitely learned a lesson on this one. Always pull out my multimeter and make sure I know what that is what.

Old 05-24-15, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
We learn from our mistakes. We've all made them. Anyone who criticizes someone else is not helping.

Keep in touch so we know how you make out. We're here if you need more help.

Old 05-28-15, 03:22 PM
R
I have some great news. It was only the transformer! It came in the mail today and I put it on immediately. Thank you all for you help!

Old 05-28-15, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome news.... you lucked out. (two thumbs up for well done)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: