Whirlpool furnace fan always running

Old 07-27-15, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Whirlpool furnace fan always running

Sorry for posting about a somewhat common issue but the solutions seem to be specific to the particular hardware.

Purchased a new home last week, rough around the edges. The furnace is original (30 years old) and will be replaced in a few months but for now the fan is always running unless we kill power to the furnace. I pulled green wire from thermostat, the fan kept running. I've read on here this may mean the blower relay needs replacing? A few wacks to the side of the furnace did not get the fan to stop. Is this relay something an end user can tackle? Here's a picture of the brains of this device. I don't want to put much money into it given it is not long for this world, but the fan blowing all the time is getting old.

Whirlpool
Heil-Quaker
Model NULK125AK01

Thanks for any input.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-15, 11:11 AM
Replacing the relay should be an easy and cheap fix. Let me see if I can find the right relay for that furnace.

Old 07-27-15, 08:26 PM
Great, thanks for any input.

Old 07-28-15, 02:12 PM
I can't find anything on that furnace. Can you pull the relay out to get a better look at it?

Old 07-28-15, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately I'm two states away, but I do have a better picture of the relay attached. I did some Googling and came up with results suggesting it is this part #: 1000742. That leads me to this relay:

ICP Furnace Relay 1000742 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

or

Omron 1000742 Relay LY2F IEC255 | eBay

Looks similar to the existing relay, and that's the only relay I saw when poking around in the furnace. Thoughts?

Attached Images