Amana Air Command 80 furnace

Old 10-22-15, 12:06 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amana Air Command 80 furnace

I have been having a continuous issue with my heater. It will work well at times and finish one cycle of heating to desired temp. Then after the thermostat signals to heat again it will cycle through the ignition process by kicking in the exhaust blower, glowing the igniter, and firing the gas. The problem is after everything is working as it should it will kick off and repeat the procedure several times w/o the blower ever turning on to circulate the air. I'm guessing there is some sort of sensor or relay that is not functioning right. I have read that there is a led that will flash a code indicating what the issue is but I have looked everywhere in the blower and control compartment with the lights off and have not been able to find any kind of light what so ever. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-22-15, 03:49 PM
S
Next time this happens look through the site glass on the front of the furnace to see the flash code. Don't open the compartment till you see the code.

Old 10-22-15, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We're going to need a model number of your furnace. It can be found by removing the burner access cover and checking the ID plate on the side wall by the burner.

There are two ways the blower gets activated.....
1) The control board has a time delay on it for turn on and off.
2) There is a heat activated sensor that has gone bad or is intermittent.

FYI... there is a safety switch on the lower access door for the blower. When you open the door.... the AC turns off and you won't see any flashing LED.

Old 10-23-15, 09:20 AM
P
Hi, thank you for the replies. The model # is GSI090B30A. I think the intermittent sensor sounds likely. It seems that every morning I will wake up to the exhaust fan running and nothing else. I will click off the heat switch and turn it back on and the heat will cycle and work initially but by the 2nd go around it will just cycle and shut off. I have searched for the led and still have not found it. There is no sight glass or window to be found. It is installed horizontally under the crawl space and has side panels that can be removed for the blower and control/burner compartments

Old 10-23-15, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
You have an older furnace that uses a White Rodgers ignition module. It should look like the one in the picture. The LED is circled. The board can usually be found in the blower section but will shut off when blower door is open. Your module may or may not have the LED depending on age.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 5281
Size:  51.3 KB

This is your furnace manual.
hvactalk/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=237961&d=1326735360

You do have a thermostatic fan control but that isn't your problem. Your ignition board appears to be locking out due to a fault. Knowing those W/R control boards..... it's probably a dirty flame sensor rod..... especially if you burn propane. There is a diagram on page 96 in the manual. It will be a metal rod that sits in the flames. It will have one wire connected to it and be mounted with one screw. It needs to be removed and polished with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad.

Old 10-26-15, 04:03 PM
P
Thanks again, I thought there was something wrong with me but there is no led on my module. That is the place I was looking to for the flashing light. As far as the diagram goes, in the manual you sent, is the sensor in an easy access location? Thanks again for all the help

Old 10-26-15, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Just to make sure we are on the same page....

Your White Rodgers control module is a 50E47 or a 50A47...... correct ?

Yours probably doesn't have the LED. My original one didn't either. I replaced it with the newer version like in the picture here so that I had a diagnostic edge.

Turn off power.
Open you burner door. Look for a silver box like in the picture. The cover is removable.
Remove the cover. The silver disc inside turns as the furnace warms up.
Leave the cover off, start the furnace and observe the silver disc.

Old 10-26-15, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
I'm fairly certain your problem is not this control. Your telling me that you find the draft inducer on the front of the furnace running but no heat. When you power down and restart you get the burner operating. That's telling me you have a lockout problem. It would be very likely to be a dirty flame sensor. After the furnace lights..... look for a metal rod sitting in the flame. It will be held in with a single screw and have one wire attached to it.

Turn power off...
You'll need to disconnect the wire, remove the screw and pull the rod out. Where the rod sits in the flame it will need to be polished with a scotchbrite pad or steel wool until it's shiny. Wipe it off with a clean rag and re-install it.

Old 10-30-15, 08:20 AM
P
That seemed to do the trick. I cleaned the heat sensor and it has been operating perfectly ever since. Thanks again for the help, you guys are good!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: