ICP Furnace Rolling Out

Old 10-03-15, 01:11 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question ICP Furnace Rolling Out

I have an ICP furnace, model GDH100A016IL. The furnace is 22 years old. It has four burners with the left two on one assembly and the right two on another assembly. The right two burners keep rolling out. I have cleaned the burners and cleaned out the burn chamber, but it continues to roll out. It doesn't do it when it first lights, but rather after running for a few seconds.

I have included a link to a video of what it's doing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByG...ew?usp=sharing

It rolls out at about 27 seconds.

Does the burner need replaced?

Any thoughts, ideas, trouble shooting steps to try will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-15, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,173 Votes on 1,088 Posts
I'm not an expert in gas problems but that is not good and it is not rollout. Flame rollout is when the flame comes up over the top of the burner. In other words.... if you were standing there watching..... the flames would come between the burner and the access opening. See orange area in pic below.

You are getting ignition inside the burner. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the orifices are dirty or partially plugged. The orifice has a tiny pinhole where the gas shoots out into the burner tube. You'd need to remove the burner and possible the manifold from the valve to the orifices.

I would highly recommend calling a tech on this one. Call your gas supplier.... they have service techs on staff that are aces in gas repairs. Usually the cost is very low too.

Do it ASAP.... the furnace cannot be allowed to run like that.

Name:  icp.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  21.9 KB

On edit:

There is a crossover tube that connects the four burners together. It has small holes in it. When the primary burner lights (where the igniter is) the flame should follow this crossover immediately so that all burners light on startup. You can stand back, squat down and watch when the burners light. Do all four light almost at the same time ?

Last edited by PJmax; 10-03-15 at 02:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-03-15, 02:11 PM
P
Thanks for clarifying things. I will check the orifices and whether they light together. If it continues I'll call for outside help.

Old 10-03-15, 02:38 PM
P
There is a crossover tube that connects the four burners together. It has small holes in it. When the primary burner lights (where the igniter is) the flame should follow this crossover immediately so that all burners light on startup. You can stand back, squat down and watch when the burners light. Do all four light almost at the same time ?
I took the cover off and watched it when it lit. It lit from left to right one right after the other. All four were lit within 1-2 seconds at most.

If you can, to help me understand, can you explain the "mechanics" of why/how the flame backs up into the burner?

Old 10-03-15, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
The gas comes out of the orifice in a little jet stream. That stream pulls in air at the air shutter. The air and gas mix for burning at the burner. If there is not enough force to get the gas to the burner..... the flame follows the gas back to the orifice.

When all four burners were lit.... did they look equal ?
What happens at the burner when the flame backs into the tube ?

Old 10-03-15, 07:05 PM
P
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

When burning correctly all four burners were burning nice, blue and looked pretty equal. About 30 seconds in the right 2 burners make kind of a "pop" noise and the flame feeds back and sounds like a jet engine. The right two burners then have a lot of yellow in the flame. It doesn't always do it.

It's always the right two burners.

Old 10-03-15, 08:16 PM
P
Do you know, should the orifices be removable? I was thinking maybe I could remove them for cleaning without having to pull the whole manifold.

Old 10-03-15, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
That I couldn't tell you.