Coleman furnace not working correctly

Old 10-13-15, 10:58 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Coleman furnace not working correctly

I have a natural gas furnace for a mobile home (DGAA077BDTA) and it isn't working correctly. It's turning on when it should, there is a ton of fire in the viewing window, and there is plenty of air being forced out of vents. The air however, is barely above room temperature. The error code blinker is showing normal operation as well. I tried turning off the breaker for 5 minutes, that didn't change anything.

Last year we did cover all of the register vents in an attempt to unfreeze some pipes (Someone told me how to do that a few years ago....however after reading info today looks like that is a bad thing to do lol). The furnace eventually shut off and we had an error code of some sort (Limit Switch Open?) but powering it down and turning it back on in an hour fixed it and it worked fine the rest of the year.

Another problem we've had twice now was a spider spinning a web in a very small part of the furnace (Some little metal tube that was about 2-3 milometer diameter)...however looking for that part this year I was unable to find it! It was a long time ago, and the furnace has been replaced....so I'm thinking that was on the other furnace.

So that's all the relevant information I can think of. Any help would be appreciated, don't really want to call a repair man

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-15, 12:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Last year we did cover all of the register vents in an attempt to unfreeze some pipes (Someone told me how to do that a few years ago
No !! Don't ever do that. That, as you found out, causes the furnace to overheat. If you need to un-thaw pipes..... turn the thermostat up. You want as much heat in the house as possible.

From your description it will be very hard to troubleshoot. I see that your furnace comes equipped for A/C operation and has a two speed blower motor. Your system should have a thermostat with a FAN ON position.

The blower may be on high and it shouldn't be.
Do you have A/C ?
Does the air coming out now feel the same as when the A/C was running ?

Your furnace manual.... UPG/HVAC/dgaa/instructions.pdf

ON EDIT:
I was reading further on your line of furnaces and see that Coleman/UGP had a recall on furnaces very similar to yours that had heat exchanges that overheated and cracked. I would HIGHLY recommend you have your furnace inspected for heat exchanger issues. You should also be using CO detectors in the sleeping areas but that is not a cure... just an added precaution.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-14-15 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added warning
Old 10-14-15, 08:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My furnace currently doesn't do Air Conditioning, we have in wall/window units for that. If it can do AC, it has never been set up to do so. I found a manual specific to the DGAA (Compared to all the models), and it doesn't say AC anywhere, so I don't think this model has it.

As to the blower, it's always the same air flow since I've lived here. Not sure when the old one got replaced, maybe 7 years ago. I've tried toggling the Auto/Fan switch on the thermostat, that didn't fix it. I didn't shut off the fuse box after trying the change though, is that something I would have to do?

I haven't been on the roof yet to look at the inlet (outlet? Whatever that pipe is lol) pipe, if that were clogged somehow could that be the culprit?