Gas furnace glows then clicks but no flames

Old 10-17-15, 11:59 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace glows then clicks but no flames

Hi everyone,

Video of issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fctf46nvsr..._0093.m4v?dl=0

I have a Cumberland Gas Furnace (Model: FUAA040A20C0) that is acting up as you can see in the video. The furnace begins to glow, clicks, then darkens again. If I let it sit there while it blows cold air, it will light up again after about a minute then click once more. After that it will blow cold air until I flip the switch to turn the furnace off.

After I shut the furnace off, I thought maybe there was some dust or something blocking it so I blew in there and I smelled gas. The switch above the flames is clearly set to "ON". Brand new air filter. Location is downstairs of Bi-level house in closed next to water heater. Ambient temperature is generally 68 degrees F.

We have called someone out twice for this in the past two years but every time without fail, it works when they get here and continues to do so until Spring. Well I have video proof this time that something is amiss. Last winter the technician cleaned the flame sensor.

Any idea what I can do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 10-17-15, 01:51 PM
S
It's obvious the gas valve isn't opening. Could be a bad gas valve or the control board. Do you have a voltmeter?

Old 10-18-15, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,422 Votes on 1,315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Trane/American Standard built furnace.
I just posted this for another member with the same problem.

Since the igniter is operating it means the safeties are ok. After the igniter is on for approx 30 seconds you should hear a click from the control module, which is the relay for the gas valve, and then burner should light. If it doesn't in five seconds the igniter will shut off and the system will retry and eventually abort.

You need to use an AC voltmeter to check for 24vac at the gas valve when you hear that click. If you don't have the voltage it's a wiring problem or the control module. Check at the multiconductor plug on the board. Try unplugging it a few times to remove any corrosion.

I'm having trouble locating service info. See if you can post the part number from the control board. It's usually located in the blower section.

Old 10-18-15, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
>

Also check to be SURE that you have gas to the gas valve and that the gas meter is on, the furnace manual shutoff valve is on, and the electric gas valve is in the on position.

The smart move is to open the furnace union or flex connector and use the manual shutoff valve to turn the gas on and verify that you have good gas pressure.

Old 10-18-15, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
It is possible there is a spider nest in the orifice where the ignitor is located. You could be getting gas from the other orifices, thus the gas odor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: