Empire wall Furnace DV-55-IP Main burner lights then goes out

Old 10-31-15, 09:29 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Empire wall Furnace DV-55-IP Main burner lights then goes out

Iím having a problem with my Empire Wall Furnace Model # DV-55-IP.

Whatís happing is: It calls for heat. Spark across the igniter is good, pilot light, lights, sparks stops when pilot lights, main burner lights then goes out immediately after lighting.

Flame sensor and igniter are one unit. The furnace Control Module is a Honeywell S8600H 100% Shutoff IP.

I disassemble the main burners and the pilot assembly with igniter from burner door and cleaned thoroughly including pilot tube. The igniter ceramic looks good and cable appears to be fine on the igniter. Grounds are good and the 24volt is polarized properly. I am unable to check flame current, it is much too low for my meter.

My despair:
1. Is it the flame sensing?
2. Is it the Honeywell Control, it does energize the main gas solenoid, but drops out immediately after energize.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-15, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This ignition module has an intermittent pilot.

When the ignition module is energized, it turns on the pilot gas and spark. When the pilot burner lights, the flame sensor circuit detects that the pilot is lit, shuts off the spark and turns on the main burner gas.

The main burner gas should stay on until it is shut off.

So I'd start by checking to see if the 24 VAC to the main burner gas connection on the gas valve is staying energized, or is being shut off by the module.

If the module is shutting off the main burner gas, check to be sure that the pilot burner is staying lit, which tells you that the call for heat is constant.

If the pilot is staying lit and the 24 VAC to the main burner gas is being shut off, you have a bad ignition control module which needs to be replaced.

Old 11-18-15, 02:56 PM
I
I apologize for not getting back to you and thank you for doing so, but I was totally unaware that someone responded. Thought I see an email.

I still haven’t repaired the furnace, it’s not one that is used all the time.

The pilot is not staying lit all the time when the furnace calls for heat.

When it calls for heat I have spark and pilot light, lights the spark stops when pilot comes on and then main burner comes on, but the module drops the 24V to the main gas value around 1 to 2 seconds after it energizes and the cycle repeats itself.

I had 186 ohms from the igniter to the end of the cable, so I cleaned that up to where I now have 1 to 3 ohms. So I’m going to take it as being the control module. I’ll have a look tomorrow (take it apart see what makes it tick and fix it if I can).

Thanks again Seattle Pioneer

Old 11-18-15, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<< but the module drops the 24V to the main gas value around 1 to 2 seconds after it energizes and the cycle repeats itself. >>

The main burners should remain lit until the thermostat no longer calls for heat.

The pilot should also remain lit. Does the pilot remain lit when the main burners shut off? If so, you very likely have a bad ignition control module that needs to be replaced.

If the pilot and main burner are both shutting off, you might have a different issue.

Old 11-18-15, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Right above your first post you'll see "Thread tools". In that drop down box you'll see "subscribe to thread". Activating that will send you an email upon someones reply in this thread.