So I ordered a Manometer....

Old 11-23-15, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So I ordered a Manometer....

I've been wanting a Manometer to check pressures and just recently ordered a cheap one.. I ordered it after seeing many reviews and figured it's better than nothing, especially since some reviews have tested it against other high cost named brand models and this thing looks to read almost the same..

My question now is about the hose and fitting for the taps. Can I use tubing for aquarium pumps for the hose and what sized fitting(s) do I need? Are they all standard .. 1/8 male npt with barb or will I need multiple fitting depending on whether I'm checking a furnace, water heater, or do they vary by brand of appliance?

What sized fitting should I get and are there any other accessories I might want? I did order a set of static pressure probs while I was at it ... I figured they might come in hand, but I'd like to keep a set of common accessories...

Thanks!

Old 11-23-15, 09:23 AM
S
Joe, 1/4" fittings should work on any furnace.

Old 11-23-15, 09:28 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Joe,
There is no air flow through the tubes so it doesn't require a very large opening to communicate the the pressure from one end to the other.

Bud

Old 11-26-15, 07:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
crabjoe,

I think I have the same manometer you describe. I recently acquired it after being advised I had high static pressure & needed ductwork modification.

What I've found is that the ports on the manometer are 1/8" ports, which accept 3/16" hoses. The manometer came with 3/16" hoses about a foot long but that length is inadequate when trying to get differential measurements around the furnace.

If you can find 1/8" (sold-by-the-foot) hoses, you'll still have a problem if you buy any adapters/fittings that work with the 1/4" or 5/16" as skaggsje brought up that those are the standard sizes. So make sure any fittings you buy are 3/16" or you'll have to find a 3/16" to 5/16" hose adapter.

For static pressure...I'm currently taking static pressure measurements without the static pressure probes. I'm just sticking the hose in the duct. Though less accurate, as long as the opening is perpendicular to air flow & not near the duct's edges (most turbulence), it's good enough...otherwise it's less 'static' and more 'total' pressure being measured).

Old 11-26-15, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,420 Upvotes on 3,066 Posts
Early Christmas gifts are always good.

Accuracy is one thing but long term durability is another. If you just keep yours at home it's not critical but if you carry it around like I do.... it needs to be rugged.

Always good to have several different diameter hoses available. Most fittings use 1/8" to 5/32" ID tubing.

Old 11-27-15, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The manometer of a GOOD repairman will usually be accompanied by quite a selection of hoses and fitting that can be used to adapt a manometer to a wide range of situations that might need to be tested.

A mediocre repairman has a shiny new manometer that he's probably rarely, if ever used, and unfortunately probably can't use effectively.

A poor repairman doesn't carry a manometer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: