Trane XL80 no call for heat from thermostat

Old 11-28-15, 08:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XL80 no call for heat from thermostat

I have a trane xl80 that's not heating up. The IFC red light had been blinking slow continuously so I think it is no call for heat from the thermostat. I've gone through the on/off cycle several times but I have not heard the hiss from the gas nor a glow from the igniter. I've turn the pilot switch on and off several times as well to no avail. I've taken out the flame sensor and it looks ok. I remove the cover to see the igniter but I can't tell if it's bad or good. I know it's in one piece. Do you have any advice as to what step I have to take next? Thank you so much. George

Separated from...
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...t-heating.html

Last edited by PJmax; 11-28-15 at 11:01 PM. Reason: started new thread
Old 11-28-15, 10:38 PM
S
I have a XL 80 that is acting up

Twokids2, I have aTrane XL 80 installed in 2000 which is acting up. You will find several old threads on XL 80 that might help. I am no expert and have been searching the web for answers. The XL 80 threads on doityourself.com have been most helpful.
It would be helpful to write your action and observations one by one. Slow continuous blinking means no heat request. When you turn on your thermostat, the light indicator should change to rapid continuous blinking. Here is a very useful error codes video on error codes and their cause:
http://youtu.be/iab6PL_B9fY
My XL 80 does not have a pilot, but a plate that heats up and glows red before the burners come on.
I assume by "pilot switch" you mean the power switch to the furnace. Right ?
Do you see rapid continuous blinking when you turn the thermostat on?
If not, the problem could be the thermostat or wiring to the furnace. Rapid continuous means asking for heat.
When the furnace fail to ignite, what is the blinking light showing ?
The video clip above gives a general description of the error codes.
Good luck.

Old 11-28-15, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,943 Votes on 2,656 Posts
Welcome to the forums George.

If you don't get the fast flash from the control board..... nothing will happen. Did you read the thread I separated this one from ?

If you have a battery operated thermostat.... change the batteries first and retry a call for heat.

Old 11-29-15, 10:05 PM
T
Thanks for the response PJmax. I removed the igniter and the flame sensor from the furnace for replacement. The flame sensor appears to be in good shape but the igniter looks burnt (see first attached photo).Name:  IMG_1559.JPG
Views: 5160
Size:  32.1 KB. The ignition control module is made by White Rodgers, model 50E47-60. I believe the thermostat is hardwired because the fan mode can be controlled from it. I would think that if it needs new set of batteries, I wouldn't be able to turn the fan on or off from it. I'm hoping to be able to purchase the igniter and the flame sensor in Seattle area tomorrow. I'll talk to the guys at APEX if there is a need to replace the ignition control module. And if so is the same model available. I'll keep you posted as to the result of my troubleshooting steps tomorrow.

Old 11-29-15, 10:23 PM
T
Thanks for the response snamvar57. At first it was a slow continuous blinking red light on the ignition control module. The blinking disappeared after I pulled the breaker. What I'm not sure about is if the thermostat was in cool or heat. What I was referring to when I said "pilot switch" is the gray knob in the center of the attached photo. Name:  IMG_1561.JPG
Views: 5373
Size:  36.1 KB. There was never a condition when the blinking red light became more rapid than the "continuous slow" mode that I observed. I watch the youtube video recommended above but I didn't find directions with what to do with continousl blinking red light - no call for heat from thermostat. I removed the igniter and the flame sensor. I hope to be able to buy replacement for these parts tomorrow. I'll ask the guys at the parts store if there is a need to replace the ignition control module as well. I'll keep you posted as to the result of my troubleshooting steps tomorrow.

Old 11-30-15, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What you describe as the pilot switch is the electric gas valve. There are relays on the gas valve which you might be referring to.

It sounds like your thermostat may not be turning on the furnace. Post the make and model of the thermostat.

You can bypass the thermostat to see if that causes the furnace to turn on. Use a piece of wire to connect the R and W terminals, which bypasses the thermostat. Does that cause the furnace to turn on?

Old 11-30-15, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If it's a battery operated thermostat, toggling the fan switch will allow the fan to operate despite the battery condition. As PJmax suggested, the furnace (or A/C) will NOT operate if the batteries are weak or dead. These thermostats utilize the battery power to actuate a relay in the 'stat to turn on the furnace or A/C. If the batteries are weak/dead, then the furnace or A/C will not turn on, even though you can turn on the fan in manual mode. The fan switch is a manual switch and is not affected by battery condition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: