Heating Efficiency

Old 12-13-15, 11:06 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heating Efficiency

I have an oil baseboard hot water heating system. I live in a colonial and keep the downstairs temperature at 67 and upstairs temperature at 63. Would my heating be more efficient if I kept them both at 67?

Old 12-13-15, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,951 Votes on 2,663 Posts
Changing the temperature in zones doesn't effect efficiency. That is determined by your boiler.

Keeping the stats as low as possible saves money. Is it more effective to keep the upstairs stat lower.... since hot air rises... it may be but is it comfortable in all the rooms ?

Old 12-13-15, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
>

What matters is the room temperature and the outdoor temperature. A DIFFERENCE in temperature will cause heat loss to the outdoors (if it's cold outdoors) and heat gain for the space if it's hotter outdoors.

The amount of insulation and such will affect the rate of heat loss or heat gain.

The boiler has to keep the water hot regardless, so having the lower temperature isn't going to affect the efficiency of the boiler and heating system.

You might expect rather small savings from maintaining the lower temperature upstairs. Of course, you are going to have heat from the warmer lower floor migrating to the upper floor, keeping that warm and perhaps keeping it warmer than 63 degrees.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: