Weird crud under (I think) the furnace flue

Old 12-16-15, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird crud under (I think) the furnace flue

I went to do laundry in the basement and noticed like a lot of dirt on the floor next to the furnace, including two huge chunks of I don't know what. One looks like it could be shaped cylindrical like the flue (if I've identified the flue correctly). It seems to be mostly white/beige colored. The other is just a chunk of black. And then the floor has dirt on it.

What could have happened?

I took a picture, but it's not the best quality.Name:  wtf.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  47.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-15, 09:55 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I see the flue from the hot water tank merging with what you think is the flue from the furnace but I can't follow it to the furnace. I certainly can't see what's on the floor.

Old 12-16-15, 09:59 PM
The furnace is to the left of what I think is the flue. It is blocked in the foreground by a laundry basket.

Assuming that's the flue, what would have caused debris to fall out of it onto the basement floor? That is seriously weird, and I'm unsure of what steps to take.

Old 12-17-15, 02:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It there a clean out either inside or outside, at the bottom of the chimney?

Old 12-17-15, 02:42 AM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Post several more pictures from different angles. Also pictures of the crud.

Old 12-17-15, 05:48 AM
Your setup looks to me like you have a high efficiency furnace which exhausts through that white PVC pipe (if that's connected to the furnace) and not the metal cylindrical duct.

Looks like you used to have a low-efficiency furnace which exhausted through that cut off round, metal duct which I'm assuming merges with the water heater flue & goes to the roof. Old furnace was removed, flue connection was simply cut & left unsealed, so you're probably seeing dirt/buildup from within the flue or some other stuff that's getting into it from the roof...that just falls to the floor.

I'm guessing it;s better that it gets out vs. clogging the flue & you have backdraft issues. Do you have any soot on top of your water heater or do the blue & red caps look a little melted on one end?

Is this something that just popped up in one day or has it been there for a while?

Old 12-17-15, 06:05 AM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
jpritzent1, is correct. The old flu would normally be capped off at the bottom. Try tapping on the flu pipe and see if any more debris falls out. If it does you may want to have it cleaned out.

Old 12-17-15, 12:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<<jpritzent1, is correct. The old flu would normally be capped off at the bottom. Try tapping on the flu pipe and see if any more debris falls out. If it does you may want to have it cleaned out.>>v

I agree. There should be a plug in the bottom of that B vent pipe. I'd pull that plug out and clean out whatever crud has accumulated.

The plug ought to be secured into the main vent pipe with three sheet metal screws. You need to remove those to pull the plug, and they should be reinstalled when you are done.

Old 12-17-15, 07:39 PM
My thanks to all of you who replied. I'm going to work my way through your suggestions and get back to you. I really appreciate everything I learn in this forum.