Gas furnace problem...any advice appreciated.

Old 12-19-15, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace problem...any advice appreciated.

I have a gas furnace. The furnace is a TempStar 5000. It is made by Inter-City Products and the model number is NUGE075BG01

This season, my furnace was working perfectly for the past 2 months. Suddenly, the furnace stopped working a couple of days ago.

This is the problem:
When I set the thermostat to call for heat, the inducer motor will start, the spark igniter would continually spark and there would be a pilot flame however, the valve would not open and the burners will not light.

Please see this YouTube video of actual failure sequence:
https://youtu.be/oFV8YZU1UoQ

This is what I tried:
I cleaned the flame sensing rod which is part of the “Furnace Pilot & Igniter Assembly” (Part #: Q345A1313) I cleaned the tiny sensing rod with emery cloth and steel wool. This had no effect; the burners still would not light. (Again, the inducer motor will start, the spark igniter would continually spark and there would be a pilot flame however, the valve would not open and the burners would not light).

I also ruled out a defective pressure switch. I installed a jumper wire after the inducer fan came on to the two wire leads for the pressure switch. This had no effect; the burners still would not light. (Again, the inducer motor will start, the spark igniter would continually spark and there would be a pilot flame however, the valve would not open and the burners would not light.)

I changed out the old “Intermittent Pilot Ignition Module” (model number: S8600M1005) with a new universal module (Honeywell S8610U3009). After installing the new module only the inducer fan motor started. The spark igniter did NOT spark and there was no clicking sound for ignition. There was no pilot flame. I installed all the wires correctly. I don’t know if the new module is defective. So, I reinstalled the old module and I am still getting the same problem: the inducer motor will start, the spark igniter would continually spark and there would be a pilot flame however, the valve would not open and the burners would not light.

What should I do? Is this a flame sensing issue? Does the module have to sense the pilot flame before the module can send the signal to open the main gas valve for the burner? Should I replace the Furnace Pilot & Igniter Assembly (Part Number: Q345A1313)?
Should I replace the gas valve?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-15, 07:31 AM
That furnace also has a Hot Surface Ignitor, is it glowing?

Old 12-19-15, 07:38 AM
This particular model does NOT have a "Hot Surface Ignitor"

This model has a Furnace Pilot & Igniter Assembly (Part Number: Q345A1313)

Old 12-19-15, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You're correct, the module must sense the pilot flame before it will open the main gas valve.

Old 12-19-15, 07:42 AM
So can the Furnace Pilot & Igniter Assembly (Part Number: Q345A1313) be bad?

Old 12-19-15, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 341 Votes on 319 Posts
I'm in the process of looking up the service manual.
Are you sure the model number is...NUGE075BG01 and not NUG3075BG01 ?

Old 12-19-15, 09:19 AM
It's NUGE075BG01 (this particular model does not have a surface ignitor) It has a "Furnace Pilot & Igniter Assembly" (Part Number: Q345A1313)

FUNCTIONAL REPLACEMENT PARTS Diagram & Parts List for Model nuge075bg01 Icp-Parts All-Products-Parts | SearsPartsDirect

Old 12-19-15, 09:24 AM
Take a look at item #24 on the diagram.

Old 12-19-15, 09:39 AM
My furnace does not have #24(ignitor) or #22(furnace flame sensor).

It has #29 "Furnace pilot & igniter assembly" which is a combination of an igniter and flame sensor.

Old 12-19-15, 09:47 AM
OK. make sure the pilot flame fully engulfs the flame sensor.

Old 12-19-15, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does it stop sparking when the pilot lights? That would indicate it knows the pilot lit.

If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage to the gas valve and see if the module is trying to open it.

I know you said you installed the universal module correctly, but it seems it didn't even sense the inducer, so either it wasn't connected right or it's defective. Or sometimes the universal modules need to configured correctly for the specific application.