2 problems with York gas pack- help needed

Old 12-19-15, 07:58 AM
2 problems with York gas pack- help needed

Hi all,
I am having two problems with my York gas pack. I am not sure if they are related. Any help would be appreciated.

The first problem is that the blower is always on and does not turn off. Here is what I have done to troubleshoot:
- I have turned the thermostat to auto and the heat/cool to off and it still stays on.
- I have turned off the breaker for the unit for 10 minutes and then turned it back on and the fan comes right back on. -
-And I have replaced the thermostat itself and still it does turn off.
- I went to the unit and took off the covers. I pulled the green connector from the relay and the fan stops. It comes back on immediately when I reconnect the green wire. This is with the thermostat set to auto.

The second problem is that the gas pack is blowing cold air. I have no idea what to do about this...
Here are some pics of the control board and the inside of the front of the unit.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
WendellName:  20151219_102122.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  45.7 KBName:  20151219_102141.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  42.8 KBName:  20151219_102149.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  41.9 KBName:  20151219_102209.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  47.4 KBName:  20151219_102228.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  37.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-15, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
When you disconnect the G from the control board..... the blower stops.
What if you disconnect the G wire at the stat.

If the blower still runs then..... you have a short in the wiring.
If it doesn't run..... you have a stat issue. Wiring or programming.

Old 12-19-15, 10:51 AM
Thanks. So I have just disconnected from the thermostat inside. The fan kept running. I also disconnected it from the circuit board (the one pictured in my pics) and it kept on running.

Are the two problems connected? And where could the short in the wiring be? It seemed to be running just fine recently.
Thanks

Old 12-19-15, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry.... in your first post I thought you said removed the green wire.... you said remove the green plug. Probably not a wiring issue.

The fact that it won't produce heat and the blower is locked on is a good indication of a tripped high limit switch.

I'm looking for a manual now.

Old 12-19-15, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
If the primary, rollout and auxiliary limit switches open, the thermostat and ignition system is de-energized and the gas valve closes. The combustion blower and the circulating fan, at heat speed, are energized.

That is from the manual. That means you need to check for a limit switch near the burner that has a little red button on it. That also means that at this time the blower AND the draft inducer blowers are both running.... is that correct ?

You have a smart valve in that unit which is a great source of trouble but it doesn't seem to be the problem at this time. I foresee you having a flue issue or possibly a cracked heat exchanger.

Let us know what you find. Here's the link to your manual...
InformationCenter/York/Archive_CDs/York_1995/PUB/53046/OUT/N5Y.PDF

Old 12-19-15, 12:11 PM
Thanks and please forgive my ignorance on this unit. Is this the draft inducer blower? If so, then it is on. Also, I don't see anything with a red button on it. Is this the high relay in the middle picture? There may be another panel that I need to remove...
Name:  20151219_145536.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  26.0 KBName:  20151219_144846.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  28.2 KBName:  20151219_144834.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 12-19-15, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Yes...that a high limit switch but not the one we're looking for. You need to look near the opening where the burners are. It's usually directly above and very near the burner opening.

That is the draft inducer also.

Old 12-19-15, 12:52 PM
Ok. Thanks. I am going to look for this now. Do I need to remove the manifold to get to this. Or the top cover? I am not sure where these burners are...I will find them though.
Thanks for all of your help!!

Old 12-19-15, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
I see the flue and the gas line so it's on the right side..... looking at the picture.
I don't think the top is removable.

Name:  20151219_144834.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  45.0 KB

Old 12-21-15, 04:47 AM
Thanks Pete!!! With your guidance I was able to find the reset next to the burners. I reset it yesterday and everything is working fine. I will keep an eye on it. If it resets again I may have to call someone in to look at it. I don't want to cause any expensive damage.
Anyway, you can see the reset next to the burners. It is between the two red wires.
Thanks again. I couldn't have done it without your help.
WendellName:  20151219_155802.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 12-21-15, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
That's called the flame rollout switch. It monitors for too much heat/flame outside of the burner chamber. It it trips again you MUST find out why.

Old 04-29-16, 04:50 AM
Hi all,
I am having a new problem with this unit. I came home last night at 11 to find it was not working.

I had the fan turned on (not auto) and it had cut off. Nothing was happening.

So I turned the fan off and on a few times at the thermostat. Nothing happened.

I checked the breaker and it was still on. I turned it off and on a few times and it seems to work. I am going to switch it out today when I get home just to eliminate it.

I have not had a chance to get inside of the unit to see if anything looks weird.

Is there a common problem with these units and the A/C functioning at this time of year? I seem to remember ants in the condenser a few years ago...but I could be wrong...

Thanks,
Wendell

Old 01-14-18, 06:01 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am back with another York gas pack question. The unit has been working perfectly this winter until yesterday. Here is what happened.

I came home from a day trip and the unit was on (making sound) but no heat and no blower working. I went to the thermostat. It said that the batteries were low. I put in new ones. The battery low light went away and I replaced the thermostat. I turned the unit to the heat position, the thermostat clicked and phase one of the unit started running. I still did not hear the second part begin where the heat actually kicks on and the blower starts.

I then went to the fuse box inside the house and checked for tripped fuses. There was nothing. I turned that off and on just to be sure anyway. Still the same.

I then went to the unit outside and pulled the key at the fuse box outside. I then replaced that and still nothing.

After a cold night's sleep, I went out this morning and started wondering about the igniter. Could it be that? Another control board problem? I have no idea. The igniter does not kick in at all but I am not sure about how these things work.

Here is a video I recorded at the unit. https://youtu.be/F60iEk6V8Is

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Wendell

Old 01-14-18, 07:02 AM
Hi,
I just saw this video in which the guy seems to have almost the exact same unit as me. He is having the same problem and goes through some steps to test and troubleshoot. I am going to go through these steps but I am not going to be able to do it until tomorrow. In his case, there was something clogging the unit. He cleaned it and it worked.
https://youtu.be/Snh1GyVO_bw

Old 01-14-18, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Have you had the unit serviced since you had the high heat problem last time ? A furnace should be serviced every year or at least every other years especially a packaged unit where everything is outside.

You've got a hot surface lit pilot light. You could have a defective igniter, dirty pilot orifice, dirty flame sensor rod. I left you a link to the service manual, It has a diagnostic section of what to check. There won't be any buttons to press. A meter will be needed.