Error Code 34 on Payne Furnace. Ignition failure.

Old 12-27-15, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Error Code 34 on Payne Furnace. Ignition failure.

My Furnace fails to ignite intermittently. The ignitor glows then I hear the gas valve click on but, I don't see a visible flame right away (when the error occurs). Should I see a visible flame as soon as I hear the gas valve turn on? I have read that the flame sensor can cause ignition errors but I would think I should see a flame right away when the gas valve turns on.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-15, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You should see flame within 1-2 seconds. I would remove & clean the burners paying particular attention to the "wings" on the sides of each burner, presuming your burners are the short (3"-4") long style.

Old 12-27-15, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rather than jumping in to cleaning the burners, I'd do some more diagnostic work to identify the problem.

Start by locating the rating plate for the furnace in burner compartment of the furnace. Post the model number of the furnace you find there.

Then carefully observe the sequence of events which occurs when you turn up the thermostat, and post that sequence here, in order and in detail.

Describe the color of the hot surface ignitor. Inn general the HSI should get white hot. If it's an orange color, measure the AC voltage being applied to the HSI --- it should be 120 VAC, but a bad circuit board might be giving a lower voltage.

In general, after the inducer motor comes up to speed, the hot surface ignitor should heat up for 30 seconds or so and get white hot.

The gas valve should turn on the main burner gas and the gas should light in a 1/1`0th of a second or so, and all the burners should light in about that same time.

While observing that ignition sequence, see if one burner is lighting off the HSI and the other burners are slow to ignite, or whether the first burner is slow to light off the HSI.

You would probably have to observe that ignition sequence several times before you appreciate what you see. Just keep your face well away from the burners.....

Old 12-28-15, 07:25 AM
Regarding Error Code 34 on Payne

Thanks SeattlePioneer for great info.

The model of the Payne is PG9MAA036080. This unit runs on propane.

1) Inducer fan motor starts
2) Ignitor turns on.
3) Gas valves turns on.

When it does ignite there is a 1-2 second delay after the gas valve turns on.

If it fails to ignite. It reattempts to reignite 2 more times then errors out.

I see the ignitor glows orange but not exactly white hot. I hear the gas valve click on after the ignitor on but I get no flame. It attempts to light 2 more times then errors out on some occasions . I power cycle the unit and it retry's to ignite and is successful on most occasions.

This unit is at my cabin so I don't have access to a Volt meter at this time. I'm thinking that I should just replace the PCB and ignitor. I'm not too worried about the cost.

Old 12-28-15, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<<1) Inducer fan motor starts
2) Ignitor turns on.
3) Gas valves turns on.

When it does ignite there is a 1-2 second delay after the gas valve turns on.

If it fails to ignite. It reattempts to reignite 2 more times then errors out.>>

So you do have a delayed ignition problem --- caused by the burners not lighting promptly.

Could be low voltage to the HSI causing the HSI not to get hot enough to light the gas.

Could be a HSI that is not getting hot enough and needs to be replaced.

Could be poor gas pressure to the furnace that doesn't allow the burners to light properly.

Could be dirty burners. Look carefully at how the burners ignite. Does the burner by the HSI ignite? Does the burner by the HSI lite up, but not the other burners?

Personally, I'm not big on replacing parts on the off chance that it might solve a problem. Multimeters can be purchased at home centers for $20 or so --- that's a good investment.