additives for household oil tank

Old 12-29-15, 03:39 PM
additives for household oil tank

hi if the oil i buy has an additive already in it do i need to add my own? or is that totally not necessary? My husband always added his own once a year but is now in a nursing home and keeps telling me I need to do it. thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-15, 03:44 PM
Just like gasoline, the oil you buy for home use should already be climate conditioned for your local area. I would not add anything to it. However, that being said, if your husband has done it every year since way back and no harm took place then I doubt any harm will be caused by continuing his practice.

I'm making an assumption that you are referring to home heating oil. If not, but instead for your car then NO DO NOT ADD ADDITIVES. Use only the recommended oil that is for you car as instructed by auto maker. Same goes for gasoline...No ADDITIVES. Maybe and bit of dry gas if you strongly suspect water may have entered the fuel system.

Old 12-29-15, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Fuel oil and diesel have their peculiarities. Left siting for long periods with no use you can get microbes in the fuel. A biocide is used to reduce that problem. It couldn't hurt to add it.

Old 12-29-15, 03:59 PM
Good point PJ. If winter oil supply is not used in a season and left for a year or more then an additive can be beneficial. But I would ask the fuel supplier for a recommendation of what to use. I suspect that is in fact what her husband had done.