Carrier 59SC2B - Makes noise and stops blowing air

Old 12-30-15, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier 59SC2B - Makes noise and stops blowing air

Hello experts - I need a little help with a burning smell / noise problem with my heater and wonder if I have to call in a service person. The temperature has been moderate (40s to 50s at night) this year and the unit is not being overused at all.

My filters were dirty and I washed the main one (washable, 20x20) and replaced the 2nd floor one (14x14) about 6 weeks ago when my Nest thermostat was complaining that the Heating unit was stopping too frequently. The problem then went away.

Yesterday evening there was a burning smell from the vents and there was a noise coming out of the blower chamber. I stopped the unit, closed the gas valve and let it cool for an hour. After that I restarted and everything seemed fine.

This morning I felt a bit of burning smell again though there was no noise. I still stopped it and started after few minutes and then recorded the below video. Seems status code 33 ( 3 rapid and 3 slow blinks). It was blinking the same yesterday as well.

From the manual there should be a media cabinet with the filter but I don't see one in my installation. There is one intake 20x20 filter in the 1st floor dining room and another in the 2nd floor (14x14) bedroom.

Here are the photos of the unit from left to right -

http://imgur.com/a/YNsL1 (Edit:Uploaded to imgur)

Here is a video showing the blinking status light and the noise -

https://youtu.be/5LC428WpO6U

Wonder if it qualifies as grinding noise but I am a bit concerned as the house went out of warranty few months ago (built mid 2014). Not sure if Carrier 5/10-yr warranty covers the blower area.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by rexian; 12-30-15 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-15, 11:21 AM
The URL for the pictures is being masked - wonder if tinypic (the image host) is blocked or I am too new to post images. I'll try with the the recommended host.

Old 12-30-15, 11:31 AM
ImageShack doesn't appear to be free anymore

Old 12-30-15, 01:04 PM
I restarted after an hour and it ran fine for 30 mins and now the code changed to 13 -

https://youtu.be/Uq2WLT4LKHA

I turned it off again

Old 12-30-15, 01:08 PM
Sounds like the transformer is humming. Check the back of the blower compartment panel to get the code.

Last edited by skaggsje; 12-30-15 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-30-15, 01:26 PM
Hi skaggsje, the blower was stopped when that sound was coming along with the burning smell. To me it sounded like the motor was forced to not spin while it was trying to and some internal coils were burning.

Old 12-30-15, 04:18 PM
Just saw your edit - here it is from the blower back panel.

I restarted it after couple of hours and everything seemed fine for 10 minutes and then the grinding noise with no airflow. The vents are not blocked - I opened all the registers and installed new filters just in case.

If the blower motor / capacitor is defective or if the blower wheel is loose, could it run for few minutes and stop? I saw a post from PJmax where he said the wheel could also be dirty to cause the clog.

It certainly sounded like some motor wasn't able to spin.

Old 12-30-15, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
You can open the blower door and try turning the blower wheel manually. Make sure the service switch is off.

If the starting capacitor was the issue... the blower wouldn't start at all.
It sounds to me like the blower motor is due for replacement.

Old 12-30-15, 11:00 PM
Thanks PJmax, I tried that in the afternoon when the power was turned off and it was free, quite easy to spin by hand. Does that rule out clogged wheel? If so we are left with loose blower wheel, defective motor and inadequate air supply.

What would you recommend I try next? This type of equipment is expected to last a long time and it's only been about 19 months so I must be unlucky if the motor is defective ...

Old 12-31-15, 12:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
I recommend you call for warranty service. You have at least a five year parts warranty.

hvac partners/docs/1009/Public/0D/49004DP176.pdf

Old 12-31-15, 08:48 AM
Thanks again PJmax. I'll try to locate the installer. There are no details in the booklet left by the installer but Carrier website will have the name of a local dealer.

Old 01-02-16, 07:47 PM
While I wait for Carrier's call center to open on Monday I recorded another video. It sounded like it was coming from the capacitor.

The motor was trying to spin but probably wasn't getting enough power.

https://youtu.be/aKBZdKmYUxI

Last edited by rexian; 01-02-16 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 01-03-16, 12:43 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to get someone to come tomorrow but until then I was thinking of trying to increase the blower wheel speed a little to reduce the heat building up quickly (my theory is that heat is building too quickly to cause the issue as after an hour of cooling there is no humming for first few minutes).

Here is how the wires are hooked up right now. Would I increase the speed if I replace the blue wire connected to "Heat" with red from "SPARE-1"?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-16, 02:19 PM
Just read somewhere "yellow" might be the "hi med" and red probably "lo" whereas blue is "med". Should I try exchanging blue with yellow to "heat" to increase the speed? The black one is already connected to "cool" and I was expecting that to be the highest speed going by standard motors.

Another question to PJmax or anyone who might know - does the 5 yr warranty only cover parts and not labor? If yes and the bad part is the capacitor (25uF / 370V, CBB65-V), would it be worth trying to replace it first since it's quite cheap?

Also, would the parts (let's say bad motor) be handed (under warranty) to an authorized technician only or I can order it as well? It probably wouldn't matter this time as it's already winter and I don't want to take a chance but good to know for future.

Thanks again folks for all the help.

Old 01-04-16, 07:41 PM
Update

An Update: a Carrier technician came in today. Pretty much like PJmax thought, he confirmed the motor was bad. He tested the capacitor and said it was fine. Also confirmed the part was under warranty and labor to replace the motor would be $300.

So going back to my previous question - is it possible to get the part (motor) from an authorized dealer for me to do the installation? Or they would only hand out the part to a certified technician?

I just paid $90 for diagnosis today and left a message with the builder to send me the contacts of the original installer (in case they quote less).

BTW, increasing the speed helped - while the motor still makes some noise while starting, so far it hasn't stopped with a burning odor like before.