Can I redirect furnace exhaust through side of house?

Old 01-02-16, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I redirect furnace exhaust through side of house?

Hello everyone,
I picked up a foreclosure in Michigan(Jackson to be precise), built in 1900, with an old Michigan basement(rocks with concrete poured over them for foundation). I'm a college student(not a big budget), so here's my situation... I have a chimney with no liner, the mortar has been deteriorating and I have a 80% efficient furnace and a hot water heater(tank/gas) exhausting out of it. I have noticed that the patch work around the exhaust is eroding as well. Now I could install a liner, finish the mortar patchwork that I started and get the chimney cap installed that I had bought, but it seems like a bit much. I feel as if getting a new tank-less/electric water heater would be sufficient while redirecting my furnace exhaust through a basement window which I would take out and run whatever is needed to meet code through it and fill the remaining gap with concrete. I would like to take the chimney out and patch the roof over it to rid myself of any future headaches it may cause.

Info on furnace:

Operator: 8579
Model No: GMP100-4
HY POT: PASS
Cool Current: 7.6
P.V. Current: 1.4
Igniter Current: 3.3
Leak Test: PASS
Heat Current: 6.7
Block Off: PASS
System: PASS

The furnace is a GMC 80% efficient.

So again my question is... Can I redirect the exhaust of this furnace out the side of my house? The opposite side of the wall where I desire to direct the exhaust to is next to my driveway, not that I park my truck by that window, but could this have any detrimental affects on any vehicles parked beside it?

If any more info is needed, I will provide, any help/advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Bryson

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-16, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No.

80 percent efficient gas furnaces have an inducer motor to force the combustion gasses through the furnace, but the exhaust is designed to empty into a gas vent or chimney to dispose of the gasses.

But it is not designed to have those vented through the sidewall.

If you have an installation manual for your furnace, you should be able to see how such a furnace should be vented.

Old 01-02-16, 03:08 PM
Alright, thanks for the info!