Trane XR90 Intermittent Operation...

Old 01-05-16, 09:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XR90 Intermittent Operation...

Hi all,

I have this Trane XR90 at home. Its almost 7 yrs old. Recently (like for like 2-3 months) it has started to act up.

What happens now is, the inducer motor runs (I have tried to drain any waters from the drain pipes already), and after around 30 secs, I hear some sound (likes something tries to start but couldn't) and the inducer continues to run, and at around 1 min, the main blower starts and furnace starts to run. Then everything seems to work fine. I can feel the warm air coming out of the ducts and house is nice and warm. Sometimes, when the furnace is running (main blower is running), it suddenly stops for a sec or two, and then starts to run again. And yesterday, this was happening more often, the main blower would start, and then shut down in a min. The inducer would still run, and main blower would start again after half a min and then stop. I had to stop the furnace, did a reset (on-off twice), and drained the water that was in the drain pipes.

The furnace is working, warming the house, but the issue that at 30secs, something tries to run (not sure if its the main blower), and the main blower kicks in at 1 min. I don't think it used to be like that. And I think once, the main blower stopped for a few secs, and started right after even after the reset.

I have had pressure switch replaced a month or so ago for three blinking red lights issue.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-16, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You never mentioned the burner in your description.
The inducer should start.
In 15-30 seconds the igniter should glow.
30 seconds later the burner should fire.
XX seconds later the blower starts.

You need to establish what is or is not happening.

Old 01-05-16, 10:05 AM
Hi PJMax, Thanks for the reply.

I think all of the above are happening and the furnace is maintaining the temp of my house. But, what happens sometimes is, blower is running for few mins (the last item from your list), and it suddenly stops for a 1-2 secs, and starts right after and runs till the furnace needs to run. I didn't check if the burner was running at that time after the quick restart of the blower.

And yesterday, the furnace would start (till the blower runs) and shutdown in 5-10 secs. And then repeat that same again. I stopped the furnace, tried to drain whatever I can from the drain pipes, and reset the furnace. Started it again, and it seems to work now. Since then, I think the blower has stopped atleast once in the middle of heat cycle for a very brief moment. I dont know if that's OK or if anything needs to be done to fix it? Could it be flame sensor? or a cracked heat exchanger?

Old 01-05-16, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
A cracked heat exchanger wouldn't cause the blower to momentarily stop. It could possibly be a flame sense issue but that would set a fault code. Just about anything that causes a problem like your having should set a fault code.

Old 01-05-16, 10:14 AM
At that time, when the furnace went into a loop of quick start stop, I believe the red blinking light was flashing four times, before I did the rest.

Old 01-05-16, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
A four light flash is an overheat issue. Check the air filter and replace if needed. Also make sure registers are open and that the returns aren't blocked.

What you are hearing is the furnace running normally. Then it overheats..... so the burner shuts down and the blower restarts to cool off the furnace.

Old 01-05-16, 11:02 AM
I had originally the reusable filters, but one service guy mentioned to use fiber glass filter (saying its better for some reason). Its almost see through, don't know if its any good, but its almost new.

Also, I have few of the ducts/vents closed in my house due to the rooms/area not being used or under the sofa or carpet. Could this be causing the furnace to overheat?

Lastly, what are registers and returns? how to know if they are blocked?

Thanks!