furnace gas 20 yeares old..T-Stat is doing something odd?

Old 01-07-16, 06:27 AM
furnace gas 20 yeares old..T-Stat is doing something odd?

My gas fired furnace has an old t-stat .It came with the furnace in 93. It can be adjusted between 68 and 73 degrees in mich.But thats really close together- for on and off periods of the furnace running ,It gets a little to warm and a little to cold at either of these settings...at or between, Seems like the settings I turn on-EACH DAY AND NITE down at nite up in the morning, Is this in tolerance, or am i making a mountain out of a mole hill?Is the T-stat doing this. thanks for whatever you can say to help bob s

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-16, 01:57 PM
btt btt bttherEs my thread again hoping for help? bob s

Old 01-09-16, 07:23 PM
A mechanical t'stat has a parameter called hysteresis which is the difference in temperature between the t'stat switch closing on a falling temp and the switch opening on a rising temp It is usually between 1-4 farenheit degrees. It is not adjustable. A mechanical t'stat does have an adjustable anticipator. The anticipator heats the t'stat while the t'stat switch is closed and causes the t'stat switch to open before the t'stat setting is reached. This is done because the residual heat in the heating medium will continue to heat the room after the furnace is shut off. In your case, move the anticipator dial 1 increment for a shorter cycle. If the comfort level doesn't improve after a few furnace cycles, keep shortening the cycle. When there is little time between on-off-on, you need to return the anticipator to the starting point and consider getting a new t'stat. Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-16, 06:08 AM
thank you beelezbob for the help, Think maybe i have an old t-stat..is replacement the best option? bob s ------------------ this is just the standard old T-stat.

Last edited by bsa_bob2; 01-10-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-10-16, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
It certainly wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a new electronic thermostat.

Old 01-11-16, 06:34 AM
Thank you PJ Max Isaw a smaller one on Tv here recently. I think it says it is all automatic in the TV ad,...........Once set up ,not sure. It looks almost like these older ones.for size,/Do you think who it might be?I am one of those people ,who are adjusting this one day and nite bob s

ps might be worn out after 23 years of of this constant adjusting aayy?

Old 01-11-16, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
You probably saw an ad for the nest. It's a round thermostat similar to the old round Honeywell ones. However it is fully electronic and on the pricey side..... +/- $250.00

Old 01-12-16, 04:51 AM
Thats abit more than i can live with, although-("one i have)This T-stat seems to be bettr than it was. I moved the small pointer underneath the cover ...........1 increment from 4 to 5 Hope this is it. thank you Pjmax

NEST!thats the one i saw bob

Old 01-18-16, 09:03 AM
From 68 to 72 degrees. Our house is either to HOT! or to Cold! she thinks its my age 71.and I think shes nutz on that. Why again? I always adjust the t-stat morning--- first thing up.........bedtime down--- it goes. There just don't seem to be a "range" of heat,Could this T-stat be worn out turning it al the time? It is only changed by me.Anymore thoughts would be welcome. Please help us to get back on track.It will Appreciated greatly.--- bob scharp

Old 01-19-16, 05:20 PM
btt btt btt b tt btt btt btt btt btt

Old 01-20-16, 06:44 AM
Nest would probably not suit your needs as there have been many complaints about its large temperature swing. It does this to supposedly save you on heating costs. Grab any of the Honeywells at a big box store and you would be more satisfied than with the Nest.

Old 01-21-16, 04:39 AM
GOTCHA Astuff appreciate the help buddie thank you bob s