Wireless thermostat issue. An odd problem for sure

Old 01-07-16, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless thermostat issue. An odd problem for sure

Hey guys, I am having a furnace/wireless thermostat issue and I am hoping you can help me. I will try to make this as fast as possible so please bare with me.

I have a house built in 1986 with two likely original Lennox thermostats. One large one for the basement/main floor and one smaller one for the upstairs where the bedrooms are.

This past summer we got central air installed and hooked up to the smaller unit for comfort in the bedrooms at night as it was a sauna. Our house only had two wire thermostat hooked up, and it was going to be near impossible to run them, so the central air guy decided on a wireless thermostat instead. He hooked up the central air and it worked like a charm. No issues at all.

Fast forward to this winter. We go to turn the furnace in question on, and the pilot light is on, fan can be turned on via the main on/off switch hooked to the furnace, but the burner did not ignite. I had my gas company come in (free of charge, yay) and check if there was a gas issue. there was no gas issue, but he was not allowed to assess further, but informed me it is likely a wiring issue as the valve was not getting powered. We have been going with no furnace upstairs which is not the end of the world as the main one kept the house warm.

Again, fast forward to yesterday. I got annoyed that the furnace "coincidently" did not work since we got the central air installed. It seemed a little too much of a coincidence. I could see if it worked and then decided not to, but it did not work at all since the central air was installed in the summer. I then hooked up the old thermostat (wired) and yay the heat works, but it will not function if the wireless thermostat has it's batteries out, or is not on the exact same setting. it is as though they have to work simultaneously. This is good that it works finally and we have heat up there, but bad for any nighttime programing etc.

Now, I find it strange that the wireless thermostat did diddly squat without the wired thermostat, but the wired thermostat needs the wireless thermostat in order to run. I was wondering if there is a way to turn my wireless thermostat system off, like completely disable it. I wouldn't mind having to hook the wireless thermostat up for the summer, and then disable it for the winter months....I am guessing this can be done just by taking power away from the wireless thermostat and box. It is odd needing two thermostats, but there is nothing in the instruction manual on how to completely turn off the wireless thermostat (taking batteries out just doesn't cut it). I posted some pictures of the furnace, wired thermostat (vivint), wireless thermostat and the brains of the wireless thermostat.

Thanks in advance.

[IMG]http://i64.************/517sra.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i65.************/350jdrt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i65.************/rkvw1x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i66.************/wagl90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i65.************/1rax45.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i64.************/2z8avq0.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Darth Menace; 01-07-16 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-16, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I only approved your post and did not read it through.. Your pics dont work...

Old 01-07-16, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, this is the second time typing this so I hope it works. I am having an odd thermostat/furnace and am hoping you can help.

I have a house from 86 with what i believe is original gas furnaces. One large furnace for basement/main floor and one for upstairs where the bedrooms are.

In the summer we got central air installed in the smaller furnace because during the summer our bedrooms are saunas. The house was wired with 2 wire thermostats and new wires were next to impossible to run so they opted for a wireless thermostat system. The two wire thermostat was taken down and the wireless thermostat put in it's place.

The wireless thermostat worked perfectly for the central air/ Fast forward to the winter, we try to turn the furnace in question on, but the burner does not ignite. The pilot light is on, and the fan can be turned on and off at the on/off switch hooked up to the furnace. For some odd reason the wireless thermostat would not let the furnace ignite the burner. We have gone for a while without this furnace as it is not a huge issue because the main furnace is large enough to heat the house, but it get a bit nippy at night. My gas provider came and gas is not the issue.

Fast forward to yesterday when I feel irritated that the furnace worked perfectly last year, but coincidentally stopped working when I got the wireless thermostat and central air installed. i mean I could see if the furnace worked for a while and then decided not to, but it just didnt work since we first turned it on this winter. I hooked up the wired thermostat and the burner turns on and works perfectly. the odd thing is that the wireless thermostat must be on the same setting as well in order for it to work. I find it strange that the wireless thermostat did diddly squat with the furnace prior to me installing the wired thermostat, but BOTH are now required to function in order for it to work now.

I was wondering how I can disable/unplug this wireless thermostat for the winter so i can use just the wired one, and then I will switch it back in the summer. Having two makes it near impossible to make a schedule work properly, and it is pretty dumb I need two thermostats.

I have attached some pictures of the wireless thermostat (Honeywell), wired thermostat (Vivint) as well as other related bits.

Attachment 61224
Attachment 61225
Attachment 61226
Attachment 61227
Attachment 61228
Attachment 61229

Old 01-07-16, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Not sure where you're hosting your pics. Tinypics is incompatible here.
This should help you.... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Once we see your wiring we should be able to help you.

Old 01-07-16, 06:07 PM

Old 01-07-16, 06:12 PM
I redid them in photobucket as per the instructions. Hopefully it works out

EDIT: Nope, it wouldnt let me post the links. Crapper

Old 01-07-16, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Your first set of six in post five are ok. You couldn't see them as they were in moderation due to the amount of pictures for a new poster.

This is an important one.

Name:  5_zpsaqlcr6qp.jpg~original.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  39.5 KB

Where are/were the two wires connected to this panel ?
They should be Red on R or Rh and White on W.

What is that in the last picture.... a fan center? Does it have a make and model on it ?

Old 01-07-16, 08:22 PM
I have not touched the wires to this router (with lack of a better word). The only wires I have touched were the black and white wires upstairs to re-hook up the wired thermostat. I have not touched or relocated those wires in question.

Old 01-07-16, 08:30 PM
I dont know what that would be called exactly. I can look for a make/model when I get home, but that was not there prior to the wireless thermostat install (whether it be specifically for the a/c or the wireless thermostat I am not sure)

Old 01-07-16, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
You're saying the two wires at the old stat location are still connected to the furnace ?
If they are.... then the wireless most likely was never connected.

You may need to snoop around to find out where the old two wire cable is connected.

Old 01-07-16, 09:02 PM
The wires from the old thermostat must be still connected to the furnace, which made it able actually work yesterday.

When you say the wireless thermostat might not have actually been connected, you do mean to the furnace correct? It was for sure connected to the central air as that is how we ran it all last winter.

Old 01-07-16, 11:45 PM
Okay, I am back at home and on here with a vengeance. To answer some questions...

1)The black and white thermostat wires go from the thermostat to here on the furnace:

2) As you can see there are two groups of wires on this control panel pictured below.

The lower group of wires goes out to the central air (the highest black wire and lowest white wire), and the higher group of wires (black, red, green, and higher white) goes to this box screwed on the side of the furnace:

The blue wires then go into the furnace and hook up as you can see in the first picture of this current post.

Old 01-08-16, 12:24 AM
Group Moderator
Your pictures have been great. In the picture below. Keep your white and black wires open..... not connected. Move the blue slide on wire from the back terminal to the front left one. The heat will now work with the wireless stat. You can remove the white and black wires from the valve if it's working on the wireless.

Name:  gas.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  26.0 KB

I need you to do me a favor. Take off the blower door, shoot and post a copy of the wiring diagram. I need to check into the furnace safeties to make sure they are still in place.

Old 01-20-16, 11:21 AM
Sorry for not replying. I got distracted with too much work, etc. I dont want to look like I don't appreciate your guys help. I swapped the wires that you mentioned and unplugged the wired thermostat. With just the wireless thermostat there is still no heat. When I turn the fan to Auto and crank the heat up, the fan doesnt turn on. If I turn the fan to On then it will turn on, but no heat. Going by memory I believe this is the same issue as before, even with the wire swap.

Also, I looked for the wiring diagram on the back of the back of the panel, but there is no diagram there

Old 01-20-16, 11:28 AM
strike that last comment of mine, I took a picture of the picture with the arrow, but didnt read the comments...so I accidentall swapped the wrong wire. At the moment the wireless thermostat is off the wall, and I hear a fan and I believe some heat. Will keep you posted.

Old 01-23-16, 09:13 AM
Thanks so much!

Okay, so that suggested re-wire did in fact work. I wanted to run it a couple days before I was 100% sure. The furnace now runs amazing. Thank you guys so much for helping me, as it really saved me money. Makes me wish I did this before I gave $200 to a furnace guy for a new valve, and he didn't show anyway.

Anyway, it works great! Thanks!

Old 01-23-16, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
You're welcome.

Thanks for stopping back and letting us know how you made out and also thank you for the excellent pictures as without them we could not have helped you.