ICP 1990-91 furnace firing problem

Old 01-09-16, 10:20 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ICP 1990-91 furnace firing problem

Hey guys. I can get you a model number if you need it, so, what will happen is the furnace wont fire sometimes, and it will just blow cold air in the house. So I went down and shut the power, and went through the restart procedure. It says on the furnace it has a 90 second resart ignition. so any way ..I could see the pilot come out for maybe 1 or 2 seconds at a time and try to light it. but the burners wont light... this guy told me there a manual reset button, its red. theres a thin copper wire that comes out of it and runs across the guard for the exchangers I guess. has little clips for it... so did the restart procedure and it fired up,,,, theres a aluminum gas line that runs to where the pilot is also...

So, I assume the copper sensor wire is getting to hot and tripping the switch maybe,, I just changed filter a month ago.. so I cleaned the intake vents in the house. one of which was blocked.... and it ran a week with out any false starts. but I had to go re start it this morning....
I don't know much about furnaces, but I am going to replace this unit in the spring...If you guys can help me keep it going for a few months that would be great!!

Old 01-09-16, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We're going to need a model number.

It sounds like you have an intermittent pilot ignition system with a dirty pilot light. The pilot flame needs to be clean, large and well defined.

The manual reset button is for a flame rollout sensor and that is not your problem.

Old 01-09-16, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Post the make and model of the electric gas valve on the furnace too, which will identify the type of ignition system you have.

It sounds like you have an intermittent pilot ignition system, but I can't identify which of several types from the description you provide.

Providing the make and model of the circuit board/ignition control module would be helpful as well.

Old 01-09-16, 05:09 PM
L
ok thanks.

alright guys. I will get back down there tomorrow and get some info to you... I started a week ago to take the plate off that holds the pilot and that silver gas line. but I couldn't get the second screw out. then I ran out of time. and got it to fire up anyway.
I will get back to you tomorrow... I am a little nervous tonight ..gonna be 4 below 0, 2 more months till spring.

Old 01-09-16, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes.... you'll want to be careful what you do on a Sunday as you wouldn't be able to get parts.

Old 01-10-16, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
>

Yep. That's what we need.

The electric gas valve and circuit board would have a make and model on them, too. That would help identify what you have.

Old 01-11-16, 05:38 AM
L
numbers

hey guys, here you go..model# NHGE075 BGO1
MANUF # 8464899114

NUMBERS ON GAS KNOB .VR8204A 2027
WHERE THE IGNITION WIRE IS PLUGGED IN :: READS" CONTINUOUS RETRY
100% SHUT OFF 90 SEC S8600M. NUMERS ON IT.

THANKS GUYS, DID manage to get to the sensor. looks like a little pencil rod , the red spark plug looking wire hooks to it. I did clean it with sand paper. furnace seems to be better now .. get back to you later.... 6 or 7 below this morning!!!

Old 01-30-16, 08:30 AM
L
Hey guys.. sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner...could not get anybody to work onn furnace.. had to replace it thanks anyway

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: