York Diamond 80 - will not start in cold weather

Old 01-13-16, 05:05 AM
York Diamond 80 - will not start in cold weather

I have been having trouble with my York Diamond 80 gas furnace starting up when the thermostat calls for heat. I can turn power off to the unit locally and it will usually start back up in temperatures above freezing. However, when temperatures are below freezing, like this morning (24 degrees F), I cannot get it to come on.

The unit is 19 years old and is installed in an attic. I have tried turning the thermostat on and off as well but I usually have to turn power off locally to get it to come on when temperatures are warmer. Thermostat is a Honeywell Focus Pro 6000.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-16, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
You're going to need to watch what happens when it won't start when it's cold. You need to see what is happening. We could only guess.

Makes sure the inducer blower runs for starters.

Old 01-13-16, 09:40 AM
When the thermostat calls for heat, nothing starts up. Inducer motor does not start up or any of the other items in the startup sequence. Once the temperature warms, it will go through the startup process successfully and provide heat.

Old 01-13-16, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Then you need to see if the inducer motor is frozen..... bound.
If it's not you'll need to check for 120vac to the motor on a call for heat.

Old 01-13-16, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When the thermostat calls for heat, the W terminal on the furnace or cicuit board should be energized with 24 VAC. You can check to be sure that the thermostat is turning on the furnace.

If it is, the inducer motor should switch on and come up to speed.

Since that's not happening, the next thing to check is to see if you have 120 VAC being turned on to the inducer motor by the circuit board. If you don't you have a bad circuit board.

If the inducer motor has 120VAC to it and isn;t starting, check to see if it's humming and trying to start. If it is, I'd take out the fasteners holding the inducer motor in place, remove the inducer motor and inspect it for defects.