Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Can I Turn the Electric Off On An Oil Furnace And Not Risk Having To Restart?

Old 01-14-16, 10:38 AM

I have a Utica oil burner. On a few occasions I ran out of oil, and when it was delivered the man had to go through a procedure to start it up again-more than just pressing a reset button. Cost $35.

I have a two zone heating system in a ranch house with a basement. One thermometer is in the back hall near the bedrooms, one is up front in the living room, family room and kitchen area. The back part of the house gets heat, the heat is not working in the front where the living room is. We have had a mild winter up until a week or so ago, so I ignored this situation. However, now that is less than 30 F out in the afternoon, I bought a round Honeywell thermometer, (to replace the round Honeywell thermometer from 1973 that is original), to see if that is the problem. The only thing is, it tells you to turn the circuit breaker off for the furnace when installing.

I'm fairly handy, but I'm a little bit worried that if the furnace gets shut off at the circuit breaker, I would have to call the man out to restart it. $35 isn't going to kill me, but it would mean I'd better do this in the morning to make sure the man has time to turn the heat back on for the house. Right now, the back bedrooms are about 68 F, the front a little chilly but quite comfortable if I wear a sweater. I don't want to chance losing the heat for the house with nobody to call until the morning.

For what it is worth, we have suffered power losses during hurricanes and blizzards, and the heat did come back on when the power did. I don't know if I was just lucky the heat came back on, or if I can rely on the heater coming back on once power is restored.

Is there any chance that cutting the power at the circuit breaker will cause the furnace to have to be restarted professionally when the circuit breaker is turned back on?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-16, 11:49 AM
Cutting power will not cause the need for a service call.

You needed a service call because, when the furnace ran out of oil, all the oil passages from the tank to the burner emptied out and had to be reprimed. (Some homeowners can prime it themselves.)

Old 01-14-16, 12:17 PM
Thank you for answering. I will go ahead with the installation of the thermostat now.

Old 01-16-16, 10:00 AM
For more input you could try posting again, but in the oil and gas heating forum instead of the water heater forum.

Old 01-16-16, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
For more input you could try posting again, but in the oil and gas heating forum instead of the water heater forum.
Thread moved to correct forum.