No heat - Honeywell S8610U error: "Flame sensed out of sequence"

Old 01-21-16, 02:27 PM
No heat - Honeywell S8610U error: "Flame sensed out of sequence"

Tenants called me over and said heater was blowing cold air.

Removed cover and saw that the pilot flame was lit. The ignition control module is flashing 6+4, which according to the troubleshooting list is "Flame sensed out of sequence - longer than 10 seconds".

From the manual:

Honeywell S8610U 3009

Next system action:

Control waits until flame is no longer sensed and then goes to soft lockout. Flash code continues. Control auto resets from soft lockout after one hour.
Recommended service action:

Check for pilot flame. Replace gas valve if pilot flame present. If no
pilot flame, cycle "Call for Heat" If error repeats, replace control.
I turned the unit off, to see if anything changes after an hour. I am about to go over and see if i can clean the flame sensor.

Wanted to throw this out here now in case anyone has some advice. The manual says that if the pilot flame is present (which it is), that the gas valve should be replaced. Would this be the correct thing to do, or should i do additional troubleshooting?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-16, 03:36 PM
Ok, i got it working by hitting the gas valve with a rubber mallet. The pilot light was staying lit, even with the thermostat turned off (which im assuming is not the way it should be)... i hit the gas valve a few times and the pilot light went out. When i turned the thermostat back on everything worked as normal.

Will start looking for a gas valve replacement.

Old 01-22-16, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<<Wanted to throw this out here now in case anyone has some advice. The manual says that if the pilot flame is present (which it is), that the gas valve should be replaced. Would this be the correct thing to do, or should i do additional troubleshooting?
>>

In my extensive experience, the ignition control module is FAR more likely to go bad than the gas valve, which hardly ever does.

The pilot is staying lit with no call for heat because:

1: the gas valve is sticking open or

2: the ignition control module isn;t shutting power off to the pilot valve connection on the gas valve.

This condition is likely to recur again as whatever is going bad gets worse.

Use a multimeter to measure 24 VAC to the PV terminal on the gas valve (from PV to C). In normal operation of the furnace you should se the 24 VAC switch on when the thermostat calls for heat and the 24 VAC go to zero when the thermostat no longer calls for heat.

When the furnace fails again as you describe, measure the voltage at PV again. If you get 24 VAC at the PV terminal when the thermostat is not calling for heat, you have a bad ignition control module,

If the pilot is lit with zero volts to the PV terminal, then you have a bad gas valve.

The gas valve is redundant for safety. For it to fail and leave the pilot on, BOTH valves would have to be stuck open. As I said, that is very rare.

Old 01-23-16, 09:40 AM
Great info Seattle, thanks.