Intermittent problem with Goodman Furnace

Old 01-21-16, 10:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermittent problem with Goodman Furnace

Hi,
Hope you can help me to look at the right direction...
Have Goodman furnace for 5 years, it's GMVM96, was running no problem all the time.
Recently it started failing to start up heat. When it happens I find the furnace with solid "H" in the diagnostic window and no flames. Usually restart would solve the problem but it started getting worse: Lately when I restart the furnace with the switch, it attempts to start, the fan is on, ignitor starts, flames are on and visible, and then fan is slowing down and eventually the flames are shutting down. Furnace makes 3 attempts and then shuts down with the E0 code. I used Fault Recall button to clear up the history and after that the furnace started as normal. This happened more than twice now so there must be definitely a problem.
What I am not getting is that if that would be a physical problem with something, the furnace would not start at all, but it is intermittent so I don't know where to start. I checked and cleaned the flame sensor, changed the filter and thermostat batteries, checked pipes. Please help.
Thank you

Last edited by sand2005; 01-21-16 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-16, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,167 Votes on 1,082 Posts
H is not a fault code..... it indicates gas heat demand - followed by demand percentage
E0 is lockout due to excessive retries

You need to identify the trouble by fault code.

This furnace is also equipped with a self-diagnosing electronic control module. In the event a furnace component is not operating properly, the control module LED will flash on and off in a factory-programmed sequence, depending on the problem encountered. This light can be viewed through the observation window in the blower access door.

You have a very complicated and expensive furnace there and really should consider professional service.

The manual for your furnace.... Goodman GMVM96 manual.pdf

Old 01-22-16, 06:14 AM
S
Hi, thank you for your reply. I am definitely considering professional service, it's just those issues happen in the most inconvenient time, and I wish a service guys actually see the problem when it still present. I will confirm the fault code next time it happens

Old 12-12-16, 06:26 PM
J
Angry Same problem

Hello,
I'm having the exact same issue with my goodman GMVM97. The furnace is less then a year old. It runs through an entire cycle but when the furnace slows down, flames go out. The furnace attempts to reignite, I'm assuming because the thermostat is still calling for heat. After 3 attempts I get an e0 error code which is a lockout due to too many ignition or recycle attempts. I've cleaned the flame sensor. I'm at wits end cuz I'm sure it's a minor problem and can't really afford a technician to come and diagnose the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-16, 06:43 PM
R
Received 103 Votes on 97 Posts
If it's less then a year old it should still have a warranty with the installer. Are they willing to help?

Old 12-12-16, 07:12 PM
J
Being a diy-er, I installed the furnace myself. Had a guy I know do setup on it, but that cost money. Would like to avoid having him help out again because of lack of job and low funds. Otherwise I would of already called a technician.

Old 12-12-16, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,167 Votes on 1,082 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't usually leave two members in the same thread but we will for now.

You saw what I wrote previously..... this is not a DIY friendly furnace.
Are you getting the same exact problem codes too ?
You should not have a flame sensor issue on a one year old furnace.

Old 12-12-16, 07:46 PM
J
I'm getting a e0 lockout code. Once in awhile a b3 code comes across, but have only seen it twice. The guy I know said it might be the gas valve, but I don't think he's very familiar with goodman furnaces. I understand its not a diy-er friendly furnace, but I'd like to go through the easy fixes prior to having to call a technician.

Old 12-12-16, 08:17 PM
R
B3 looks to be a blower error, correct?
What is the operating gas pressure on this unit?

Old 12-12-16, 08:51 PM
J
B3 is furnace is operating at reduced performance, airflow delivered is less then expected, integrated control module led displays b3 error code. Fault description is a circular blower motor is operating in a power, temperature, or speed limiting condition.
I was thinking maybe I need to reduce the blower speed to increase the temperature rise, but unsure on this. Don't really want to mess with settings, especially since I haven't closed any registers

Old 12-13-16, 07:05 AM
R
So what is incoming and manifold gas pressure compared to required levels?
How many CFM is the furnace actually moving vs what it's set for?

Old 12-13-16, 08:06 PM
J
Contacted the guy I know. He looked at it. He pulled the drain from the pressure switch, which was full of water. He thinks that was the issue. Guess we'll find out. Thanks for all the help. It ended up costing me money, especially for a wick easy fix, but now I know for next time. Thanks again.