Sears floor furnace problems

Old 01-21-16, 01:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sears floor furnace problems

We have a Sears Floor Furnace model # 138.73743 serial # FH789477 natural gas-----------the last couple of winters-we hear a loud noise & find out the furnace has shut off-I will relight the pilot light- & it will stay lit -til next noise we hear -then pilot light is out again-so far this winter -it has done it about 4 times--could use some info as to why-Thanks [any info on age of furnace might be helpful]

separated from... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...-not-fire.html

Last edited by PJmax; 01-23-16 at 12:15 PM. Reason: started new thread
Old 01-22-16, 01:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would suggest you repost and start a new thread. Reviving old threads promotes confusion.

Old 01-23-16, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved you to your own thread.

Floor furnace..... who's bright idea was that invention. The poor things get full of crap. Have you at least pulled the grill off and vacuumed the inside of the unit ?

You'll need to observe what the all important pilot looks like at idle. It's fairly certain the pilot orifice and burner will require cleaning. I would look into the flue vent system too. With a unit of that age you don't want CO being released in the house.

The only thing I can find about mfd. date is 1970.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-23-16 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The pilot flame SHOULD look like a miniature blow torch, with a sharp blue flame that engulfs the pilot generator.

If the pilot has a soft blue flame that is easily blown around like a candle flame or has yellow tips or burns upwards rather than engulfing the pilot generator, cleaning the pilot burner and orifice will very likely solve the problem.

>

Actually, I always have found floor furnaces to be remarkably reliable and long lived heating equipment.

The problem is that they all too commonly don't get the maintenance, cleaning and inspections that they should.

MOST old floor furnaces should have the top grate pulled off, the baffles over the burners removed and vacuumed, and all the dirt and junk that has fallen inside vacuumed out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: