goodman furnace- no heat

Old 01-22-16, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
goodman furnace- no heat

Hello experts!

New construction 2007, Goodman attic furnace nat. gas 80% eff., has first problem.

a few nights ago, heard the exhaust blower turn on during the night when thermostatic clicked on, but the fan never turned on, and furnace blower gave up after a few minutes, no heat. It never tried again and it got cold!

In morning, turning thermostat off and on, could not get the exhaust blower to turn on again. Fan still worked. Opened up, x3 red flashes, ordered a matched OEM pressure switch $20 off ebay, knew that probably wasn't the problem, installed it, no more flashes, exhaust blower turns on like before but nothing ignites, no flames no heat. I shut it down.

Discovered a few other things with this.. the kill switch next to the furnace does nothing and the furnace is not on the circuit that is a supposed to be (according to label). So presumably have to run to basement to turn it off (haven't found the mislabeled breaker yet but I know I can with a few runs up 3 flights of stairs back and forth). I do see the 120V line that runs up that is inactivated by the breaker labeled attic furnace, and it just ends with a receptacle in the attic, 5 feet from the furnace. I can rewire it off that box no problem.

No way exhaust bent is blocked, it is almost straight up to roof. Haven't fully inspected the drain line, it should be OK.

Perhaps blower does not achieve the pressure needed? I don't have a manometer (sp?). Or something else I can check?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-16, 07:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Remove the pressure switch tubing from the furnace and insert a straightened paper clip in the metal "barbed connector" to ream out any debris.

The connector isn't barbed on modern furnaces but it was in the old days.

Old 01-26-16, 07:32 PM
i felt no debris with a wire, went straight to the fan blades. And yet, presto, it worked! So weird. Best i can figure there was some attic insulation at the base of the barbed connector that was just enough to cause a problem.

Old 01-27-16, 01:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<<i felt no debris with a wire, went straight to the fan blades. And yet, presto, it worked! >>

Heh, heh! BINGO!

I suggest you leave whatever you used as a probe someplace on the furnace and use it to clean out the fitting every year or two as routine maintenance.