Furnace and Central AC Question

Old 01-22-16, 01:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace and Central AC Question

The furnace and central ac unit in my home is going on 25 years old and probably should be replaced before a failure happens. I wanted to ask anyone in the know if a system could be purchased from eBay and installed by an HVAC person with minimal problems??

My furnace now is a 80% American Standard and the AC unit the same brand and 2 tons.

I'm looking at the eBay deal of a Goodman 96% HE furnace with a 3 ton Goodman AC unit for just over $1800 shipped!

Can a experienced HVAC guy change these out with what I have with minimal effort or is there much more involved?

Old 01-22-16, 01:55 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I think you will have trouble finding a certified tech that would be willing to install customer supplied equipment. And if you do, you likely won't get any warranty on equipment or the installation.

It's rarely just a swap out. New furnaces tend to be a lot smaller than the old ones, while the exterior unit for the A/C will be bigger. There's sheet metal work, plumbing for the condensate drain and perhaps gas, and electrical work. The new furnace will likely be direct vent so there will be air in and exhaust out lines to run. The crews that install them all day have all the equipment and supplies and can do it in their sleep.

Old 01-22-16, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
C T hit on a very important point..... warranty. If you don't purchase from or have the equipment installed by an authorized company you run the risk of having no factory warranty..... regardless of what the selling companies claim.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-22-16 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-16, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
For any equipment bought online, Goodman specifically excludes any warranty.

Old 01-22-16, 06:24 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Although I have the requisite skills, when it came time to replace my furnace I opted to have it done. The reasons were I wanted it done in a single day (I would have taken several) and I wanted a warranty. Although after almost ten years I have yet to used the warranty, I still consider it money well spent.

Old 01-23-16, 12:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great points, guys, thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: