American Standard Furnace Question

Old 01-24-16, 04:07 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
American Standard Furnace Question

Hi. Last year we had a lightning strike and it took out my American Standard 2 stage furnace controller and blower motor. The unit is only 5 yrs old. Before this happened when in 2nd stage the air coming out of the registers was nice & fast and sounded like a rocket. It would blow the curtains wide open. Ever since the repair stage 2 is a slight increase but not even close to what it used to be. Is it possible the motor is undersized? Or perhaps it has a high speed winding and connected to a medium speed winding? Thanks for any help,
Wes...

Old 01-24-16, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

One question..... why didn't you bring this up with the service people after it was done ?

Is it possible the motor is undersized? Or perhaps it has a high speed winding and connected to a medium speed winding?
Doubtful the motor is undersized. Connected using the wrong speed wire is a possibility but we'd need the model number of your furnace to look into it. You may have a variable speed motor.

Old 01-24-16, 05:46 PM
K
Thanks for the reply Pete

Pete, You are right. I should have reported the issue but it was in the middle of summer and I was not 100% sure about the speed issue. Now that it is winter and i am used to it's usual behavior during this time of year. I can tell the fan speed is not as fast. The thermostat shows stage 2 and fan speed does increase but I would like it the way it used to be. It would heat the house really fast. Now seems to take a bit longer.
The model number is AUH2B060A9V3VAC. I think Trane is the same as American Standard. Thanks for your help...

Old 01-25-16, 12:54 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Does this furnace have a variable speed blower or a four-speed blower? It could be that the original installer never adjusted the blower speed after installation. Truth is, the blower should never be such that it roars and blows the curtains around like you stated. The person that replaced the circuit board and motor may have properly adjusted the speed.

I tried doing a Google on that number and it took me to an American Standard page where I again entered the number which then returned as unknown.

Old 01-25-16, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That is a four speed blower motor.

The control board has taps for COOL, HI HEAT, LOW HEAT and PARK.
You can remove the blower door and see what color blower wires are on which tab.

This link is the basic manual for that furnace. AUH2.pdf

Old 01-26-16, 04:16 PM
K
Thanks for all the advice. I went down an took a peek for dip switches or anything obvious. One thing was obvious for sure. The repair person didn't seem to think the rubber grommets that protect the wiring coming through the razor sharp steel holes was necessary. The insulation was cut almost to the wire. I am furious that someone who deals with a GAS furnace would be so damn lazy! It's a 4 ft crawlspace so I had to get out of there but I will look at the motor connection. Thank you very much.

Old 01-26-16, 04:23 PM
K
Thanks for you effort anyway Furd..

Old 01-28-16, 05:45 PM
K
Well, I looked at the motor and it appears the connectors are modular on the motor and circuit board so it's idiot proof. I reseated all the connections and killed the power to the board for about 15 minutes. Somehow it worked! Thanks for all your help...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: