Kenmore gas furnace and rollout switch

Old 01-24-16, 07:48 PM
Kenmore gas furnace and rollout switch

I have a Kenmore furnace thats about 15 years old and this past weekend it started tripping the rollout switch got a guy to come out he adjusted the gas pressure and said it was high now its correct anyway it hasnt tripped out since but he said the heat exchanger might be dirty or restricted and that it was something that isn serviceable and that i should consider betting a new furnace ...is that true are they not serviceable ? 15years is that old for a furnace these days?

Name:  20160124_132304.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  27.0 KBName:  20160124_132258.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  24.0 KBName:  20160124_132028.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  20.3 KBName:  20160124_132102.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  32.0 KBName:  20160124_132116.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  38.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-16, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

he said the heat exchanger might be dirty or restricted and that it was something that isnt serviceable and that i should consider getting a new furnace
The technician should be able to check and let you know if the heat exchanger is defective.

Dirty....maybe. Restricted....not likely. Cracked..... possible.
If it were cracked it would not be worth replacing and there is no repair.

Was the guy that made the adjustment a technician ?
Is this natural gas or propane ?

As with any fossil fuel burning appliance..... make sure you have a CO detector or two in your house.

Old 01-25-16, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<< he said the heat exchanger might be dirty or restricted and that it was something that isn serviceable and that i should consider betting a new furnace ..>>

That's a load of codswallop.

<<.is that true are they not serviceable ?>>

No.

What a lazy bum.

<<15 years old and this past weekend it started tripping the rollout switch got a guy to come out he adjusted the gas pressure and said it was high now its correct anyway it hasnt tripped out since >>

It's possible there the heat exchanger needs cleaning, is cracked or has some other problem. If so, you repairman didn;t identify the problem and instead improperly applied a band aid by reducing the gas pressure.

That will disguise the problem, but it will probably get worse and the rollout switch will again start to trip.

In the mean time, the gas pressure is probably too low, which may result in not enough heat for the house in very cold weather.

What he should have done was to inspect the heat exchanger for sooting or cracks which if he can't do he is incompetent. If that's not the problem he should have checked further until he identified the cause of the flame rollout problem.

In my view, you should call back the repair service and insist that they send out a competent person to diagnose the problem, correct it and reset the gas pressure to the proper level --- all at no charge.

The only reason you should have to replace the furnace is if the heat exchanger is cracked, which is a possibility.

The guy who was out there was a lazy, incompetent bum. I say that as a gas company utility repairman for ten years who also operated his own gas furnace repair service for 13 years.

The bum did nothing to repair the likely problem and maladjusted your furnace by reducing the burner gas manifold pressure.

Seattle Pioneer