Furnace blower motor squeals

Old 01-29-16, 10:46 PM
Furnace blower motor squeals

Nordyne model CMH72-A serial 1D0788-00707 When the blower comes on it will squeal for about a minute then quite down and run normally then about a few seconds before it shuts down it will Squeal again and continue for a second or 2 after shut down. Would this be a bearing issue with the motor? I plain to take the blower out this weekend and try to dissemble the blower assembly and clean it and oil the motor and blow any dust out of the motor with compressed air. Will this help make the motor last until a replacement motor can be gotten. I'll post the motor info later. I don't think the blower is original as it over hangs by a inch in the front. It has no filter so Maybe it's just extra dirty. I'm going to try and attach either a cheap fiberglass filter or a pleated one and see if the furnace will still work since it was designed to run without a filter as there are no cold air returns This furnace which is installed in a wall gets it's air from the vents on the furnace cover.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-16, 05:46 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Either it's a belt or the motor is about to go. At least, that's what happened, to me. Look closely. The motor maybe mounted on a rail that slides, for easier access.

Old 01-30-16, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
The replacement motors aren't shown as being oil-able and yours, most likely, isn't either.

You may be able to partially disassemble the motor and oil it but that usually doesn't last long.

Old 01-30-16, 10:44 AM
It's direct drive. Just want to get some more life out of the motor until a replacement motor can be had plus clean the wheel while I'm in there. the whole blower assembly appears to just slide forwards and out.

Old 01-30-16, 12:56 PM
OK blower wheel was a bit stubborn coming off the motor shaft. used some penetrating oil and a small blow torch to heat the blower wheel a bit and it slide right off. The old motor is a A.O SMITH 322P289 1/6HP 1000RPM CCW ROTATION. Front of shaft I can see a silver metal ring that rotates with the shaft. I gave the front some oil but back is unnaccessible. I ordered a new motor though for under $100 it says long island development Model S1-7966-311P. Ill upload pics in a bit as I got to get them off my phone.

Old 01-30-16, 02:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I think that it was a good idea to order a new motor.

Old 01-30-16, 04:46 PM
Pictures. You can see how dirty it was. I picked up a filter and will see if I can attach it to the door somehow with fishing line through the door vents. I oiled the front bearing with some penetrating oil and sprayed the rear bearing through the motor housing to at least get something on it for now. I did a test run after reassembling everything and it did not squeal but like said it won't last and the motor seamed a tad stiff without the blower wheel but started up without a load. A new motor has been ordered.

Old 01-30-16, 04:57 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Is that motor good enough until the new motor arrives?

Old 01-31-16, 08:04 PM
So far the old motor has been cooperating but I have noticed that now Instead of shutting off 2 minutes after the burner stops the blower will run for what seams like 10 minutes before it will shut down. What would be the cause of that. Dirty or faulty fan switch or Bad time delay relay?