Furnace/water heater flue questions

Old 02-01-16, 02:03 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace/water heater flue questions

Have a split level home.

Lower level is approximately 4' below grade all around, maybe slightly lower on one side of house.

Current setup in utility room looks like the images here:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

On the fence about replacing water heater and am just doing my own research on how flues are sized and such.

http://www.hartandcooley.com/files/a...Guide_0813.pdf

I found this document which seems to break it down.

I have a roughly 19' total vent height, appear to be 4" single wall for HWH and 4 or 5" type B for furnace.

I've been down there a bit cause my HWH pilot isn't staying lit and I feel like I'm hearing condensation drips in my flue. This is what made me look up proper sizing for this installation.

I know the flue looks flat on the long horizontal for the HWH vent, but it does have a very slight pitch. 1/4" per foot is probably a bit of a stretch but it definitely pitches properly.

Had my annual furnace service last weekend, and the tech was making such a big deal about the venting of the current setup. Other then possibly using a Y connector at the flue, I'm not sure I really see what the concern is.

This was a new tech. Like owner of company, who came out last 2 services, but not too sure of this guy. May ask owner to come do a follow up as part of quote for new HWH.

Any thoughts? I'm really just looking to learn and get feedback. No real question here.

Old 02-01-16, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 365 Votes on 316 Posts
A pilot not staying lit is likely a bad thermocouple. I do not think it has anything to do with the venting. Thermocouples are about $7 and found at most big box and hardware stores.

Old 02-01-16, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
If you were getting condensation in the flue, you would likely be seeing rusted spots on the underside of the vent pipe.

Old 02-02-16, 11:47 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
but the pilot stays lit for anywhere from 12 hours to 5-6 days. still think its a thermocouple?

I sent soem of these pics to a few highly rated plumbers and got a comment back that the tape used is not allowed and possibly $2-300 worth of work in flue repairs.

waiting for HVAC guy to get back to me.

I'm confused on what the issue is.

Old 02-02-16, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Tell your "highly rated" plumbers to take a long walk off a short pier. They jump all over a little bit of tape which will hold up just fine yet say nothing abut the gaps where the sections of pipe are joined together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: