Water dripping under furnace

Old 02-01-16, 07:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water dripping under furnace

What would cause water to drop under my furnace? This suddenly started happening. Would this indicate that the condensation pump has failed? I've replaced my pump before and I have a spare. Just wanted to ask first.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-16, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 733 Votes on 688 Posts
I'm guessing you're currently in A/C mode and getting water ?

That's usually cause by a clogged drain line. That would normally be the 3/4" white PVC line that connects to the furnace/air handler just below the evaporator coil.

That drain line would dump the water into the condensation pump which is on the outside of the air handler and pretty easy to see if leaking.

Old 02-01-16, 10:47 PM
A
I don't know what "AC mode" is. I did take off one of the plates and that caused that power switch to automatically turn off.

The water is dripping from the left side and up inside the unit. I can stick a cup on top of the left side of the filter and to the left of the round cylindrical fan that turns around and it will catch these slow drips of water. I haven't even run the unit for a few hours and there's still a drip, drip, drip.

I guess to clean out the tube you need some sort of vacuum tool right? I guess I'll have to call Mr. Heating Guy in the morning.

Old 02-03-16, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a condensing gas furnace ---if so, it would have white PVC pipe to vent the furnace.

A condensing furnace cools off the combustion gasses so that the moisture produced by burning the gas condenses into water, which must be disposed of. A pump is one way to do that.

That kind of furnace can get plugged up so that the water doesn't drain properly, and then it starts to leak.

<<The water is dripping from the left side and up inside the unit. I can stick a cup on top of the left side of the filter and to the left of the round cylindrical fan that turns around and it will catch these slow drips of water. I haven't even run the unit for a few hours and there's still a drip, drip, drip.
>>

The plugged up part probably is not where the leak is. You need to start at the pump and check each link and part until you identify what is plugged up.

Old 02-03-16, 03:01 PM
A
Yeah it was clogged up. Weathermaker Infinity. The cleaned it out. My furnace is 16 years old and they said "Oh you have an old one here". Really?? Is 16 years an "old" furnace?

They also said that it should be serviced every 6-months. I call BS on that. I can understand changing the filter once a year, but is it really necessary to do even a 1-year maintenance check on a furnace? If it ain't broke then why spend $100 every year? I just went like 8 years without a servicing. This visit only cost me $128 -- instead of $800.

Old 02-03-16, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 733 Votes on 688 Posts
is it really necessary to do even a 1-year maintenance check on a furnace?
On a condensing type furnace.... yes. If not every year then every other year.
I would include cleaning the burner in that evrey other year checkup.

Old 02-04-16, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<< Is 16 years an "old" furnace? >>

It's not a spring chicken!

<<They also said that it should be serviced every 6-months. I call BS on that. I can understand changing the filter once a year, but is it really necessary to do even a 1-year maintenance check on a furnace? If it ain't broke then why spend $100 every year? I just went like 8 years without a servicing. This visit only cost me $128 -- instead of $800.>>

Here's the issue, in my view ----

Modern furnaces (even those 16 years old) have a veriety of safety devices so that it would be rare for the furnace to fail in a way that would be hazardous to occupants. That didn't used to be the case several decades ago, when unmaintained furnaces could kill people.

So now the question really is, how willing are you to have your furnace quit in the winter time? If you are willing to have it fail and perhaps go several days without heat, then fine ---postpone maintenance work.

If having the furnace work reliably for you is important, then having it service every couple of years would be reasonable, in my view.

However, LOTS of furnace repair companies do sloppy or just very little work on doing routine maintenance service work. Do you have someone YOU TRUST to do quality work?

For example, someone doing quality work would have flushed out that drainage system, since it tends to get plugged with algae and other debris. That would have avoided the furnace outage you had.

Cleaning the tubing to the pressure switch and the inducer motor housing nipple the pressure switch tubing connects to is another issue that causes furnaces to fail quite commonly.

Old 02-04-16, 01:42 PM
A
Not a big deal if it breaks down unexpectedly. I'll just wait for trouble then call for my "maintenance / repair".