gas furnace and appliances smell like mud - murky sweet smell

Old 02-02-16, 06:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas furnace and appliances smell like mud - murky sweet smell

I have a gas furnace. I was sitting down one day and all of a sudden I smelled a strong smell of what reminded me of lighter fluid. I turned off the furnace and gave it a day to burn off some of the smell while I was at work. Since then, it has smelled muddy and dirty just like the crawlspace underneath my house. Not only the furnace, but it seems like I can smell it from the gas oven and shower thats ran off a gas water heater. It makes my eyes burn, and my stomach upset. The carbon monoxide detector has not went off and noone else can seem to smell it, but I am worried what it may be doing to me. Could you help me? and no, no kind of chemicals or paint have been used.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 748 Votes on 703 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Natural gas.... correct ?

I can see smelling fumes from the range but not from the furnace and water heater which both should be vented to outside.

You said "at the shower" ....... like from the water itself ?

Old 02-02-16, 07:25 PM
J
yes when the hot water is on in the shower, i still get a hint of the smell. Just as it is with the vents and the oven when it comes on. The vents are by far the worst. this has to be at the gas lines somewhere

Old 02-02-16, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 748 Votes on 703 Posts
If you thinks it's gas.....call your gas supplier. Whether it's now or first thing in the morning. They have crews trained in locating gas issues.

It may be nothing but it's best to have it checked out. Some people are very sensitive to the additives they put into the gas and it's bothersome.

I know I can smell the oven when it's lit. It doesn't bother me but I do smell it sometimes more than other times.

Old 02-03-16, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If any of a wide variety of chemicals contaminate the air circulating past the heat exchanger, you will often get what I used to call a kerosene like odor ---which is what you seem to be describing.

So---- have you been doing any painting or cleaning with chemicals and such lately?

These are likely causes of the problem you describe.