American Standard furnace problem

Old 02-03-16, 10:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American Standard furnace problem

Hi guys,

I have a high eff 2 stage 4 year old furnace, been keeping the fan on (to even out temp around the house) but when I do that, heat doesn't come on (3 red flashes, which the diagnostic chart says something related to pressure). If I put the fan on auto, it works fine, but I am concerned that this is just the first symptom of a bigger problem to come.. It was not an issue last year.

What I tried: changed to a less restrictive filter ( (Filtrette 600, I used to use 1500), removed air return filter, cleaned ducts (they were quite clean already), opened all air vents (I had a couple closed in a room I do not use). Did not fix the issue, but it seemed to fix the burnt smell I was noticing at times over the past few days. My first suspicion was that something is overheating due to poor air flow. The blower and inducer motors do not seem to overheat, they were just slightly warm to touch (110F).

If anybody can help with a clue as to what I should look at, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-16, 11:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 748 Votes on 703 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The model number of your furnace would be helpful. You'll find it inside on an ID tag on the side wall near the burner.

If a code 3 is a pressure switch open issue it means there is a problem in the draft inducer or flue. I'm a little confused as the main blower has nothing to do with the pressure switch and the blower on or off should have no affect on the burner or pressure switch.

Old 02-04-16, 08:32 AM
D
Thanks for your reply.

The model number is AUH2B060A9V3VAC. One other issue I had a few month back was a clogged drain line (gurgling sound). I took a turkey baster and sucked out some gunk, it was fine after that. Still, once temp is satisfiied and furnace shuts down, is when a lot more of the condensate seems to come out. But during normal winter (not like this year) we have cold periods when the furnace will have to run continuously, so I wonder if this is normal.

Old 02-04-16, 09:28 AM
S
If the outside temp drops down to design temp then it's normal for the furnace to run continuously. Where are you located?

Old 02-04-16, 10:02 AM
D
I live in Ontario.. the 60k BTU is just about adequate, furnace runs full capacity most of the time when it gets to 0F (normal occurrence in Jan-Feb), but the installer did not recommend going higher because of the size of the ducts (i.e air return is 30x6 "). To my mind, going with a mid eff furnace would have been better (I had 120k BTU 60% eff that previous owner run for 30yrs with no issues), but govt regulation would not allow.