York package gas unit: heat side shutting off

Old 02-04-16, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York package gas unit: heat side shutting off

I have a York unit installed on the roof of my guesthouse in 1995.
Model #D2GH024N03206B
I set the thermostat (non programable - old honeywell style) to heat and it runs for a day or two then nothing. When I flip the main circuit breaker off/on, it runs again no problems, but only for a short amount of time (sometimes for a day or two, sometimes just for the night, sometimes for only a couple of hours) then shuts off again. Flip the fan to on and nothing till I flip circuit breaker off/on again then it runs no problem. Does the same thing when I leave the circuit breaker on and pull the disconnect fuses (2-30amp) and put them back in. I have replaced the fuses; replaced the thermostat; carefully removed the control board and cleaned the backside of it, checked it for cracks, corrosion, etc.; checked and retightened all wire connections. All to no avail. Have had two service companies over and they are scratching their heads. It's as if all power to the unit (only Heater side - AC side works fine) is shut off til I flip the circuit breaker or pull the disconnect. Then all is back to normal for an indeterminent time. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 02-04-16, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frankly, any competent repair service should be able to narrow down the cause of this kind of problem accurately and in a short period of time, especially if they can observe the furnace in the failed condition.

What kinds of tests and observations did these repairman do for you?

The smart thing to do is for a homeowner to be next to the repairman while he's working asking questions about what the repairman is finding.

A furnace has to go through a SERIES of events before it produces heat. The first thing a repairman typically looks for is HOW FAR into that sequence a furnace has gotten before it quits progressing. That usually provides good information on where the problem probably will be found.

Old 02-04-16, 02:37 PM
well the first thing that they did was to disconnect the power....and as soon as they did that then all was well again when they reconnected power. It goes thru its normal sequences just fine as if there is nothing wrong, motor comes on, gas fires up, fan starts, house heats to set temp. For the next couple of hours/couple of days it works fine going thru all sequences and keeping house warm and cycling on/off as it is supposed to. They checked all connections, cleaned sensors, tested air flow, all the usual stuff when they don't know the exact cause. And of course they are not going to stick around til it stops working again.

Old 02-04-16, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

well the first thing that they did was to disconnect the power....and as soon as they did that then all was well again when they reconnected power.
The first thing you check for is a trouble code BEFORE you power down the unit. When you power the unit it down..... you are taking it out of lockout and resetting it.

Although in this case you may not have a fault LED. Looks like a fairly old unit. Can't find service info on it.

I can tell you this.... if your unit uses the control I crossed over to it.... it's like $500.

We may need some pictures from the inside control area of your unit.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 02-04-16, 10:05 PM
Thanks PJmax
I did check the red LED lite this last time it went down before shutting it off and back on again. The lite was solid/continuous red. I found a link to a fault code reference:http://www.hvacc.net/pdf/upd111507/R...%20diamond.pdf that says "steady on = internal fault". Kinda sounds fatal to me and assuming that the control board has gone south. The board that is in there now looks as tho it was replace in 2004 some time as there is a date code on it of 12/03. I had mentioned that the AC side worked fine in my original submission. Well that is not the case....when the shut shut down I had flipped the switch to cool and the compressor came on no problem so I emediately flipped it off. On further tests i flipped it to cool and waited ...the compressor came on but the fan never did. When I turned power off/on again then everything worked fan included for a while then back to square one.
Here is a picture of the board
Attachment 62484

Old 02-04-16, 10:24 PM
I did find OEM replacement boards on line.
S1-37328175000
or
373-28175-000
Depending on what website your on. Anywhere from $286 to $505
and some say they are an "Ignition Control Kit" that includes the board

Old 02-05-16, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As PJ Max comments, they should have check for diagnostic codes before shutting off the power. If they didn't do that, they are incompetent.

>

You describe an intermittent peroblem, which CAN be difficult to diagnose. But a competent repairman USUALLY can diagnose such problems the first time out.

The basic strategy to doing that is first, to cycle the furnace on repeatedly until the fault occurs, and to be in position at the furnace to observe the fault when it occurs.

Attempting 40-50 trials or so to identify the fault is a good diagnostic method.

If that doesn't work, a second approach is to check the usual suspects --- the parts in the furnace which tend to fail, and to check and test them for any observable or measurable weaknesses. That's something that would typically take a skilled repairman to do.

Old 02-05-16, 03:14 PM
Thanks Seatle
I did look at the error lite before powering down and it was steady on (only one on this board and it is red). All the error lite info I have found says that it is either "internal fault" or "hard lockout". The only fix I have found for the hard lockout is to power off for 30sec then back on. I have done this reared my for tha last couple of weeks with the same failure results. I included a pic of the board on an earlier post if you want to take a look at it. As for the "internal fault" I can't find anywhere that has a fix for it other than assuming the board has gone bad. It was replaced once in 04

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: