Honeywell .A/C and heat Thermostat ..question

Old 02-05-16, 04:38 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Honeywell .A/C and heat Thermostat ..question

I need advice on my wall T-stat. I need to know how,you can tell when this has gone haywire.--or going "bad."I move it every nite and morning ;up and down, About 18 years its been here,It moves very very small incerments to get heat or A/C changes.Is it worn out....it does react to the settings you make to it, but the amount the temp moves.. is harder to get right.

Let me put it this way. the distance you turn the dial------makes you to warm or to cold either way. Change in temp is harder to acheive than before. I will say this it does work...........not as good .though as it used too . thank you much truly appreciate the help bob s

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-16, 05:30 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Does it look more or less like this?

Name:  Thermostat.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  15.9 KB

They are pretty simple and reliable, but the old ones had a large spiral spring that can get "tired" after many years.

Fairly easy to replace. If you want you can replace with a digital version that would let you change temp by one or two degrees reliably. Or you could upgrade to a setback version that can be programmed to lower (raise) the temp at night and raise(lower) it again in the morning.

Old 02-05-16, 05:42 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I seriously doubt that it is "worn out" but as Carbide suggests, replacing it with a digital model might make it easier to adjust. As we age our nerve endings have a tendency to deteriorate making touch less sensitive. I have moderate to severe nerve damage in my fingers (other places as well) and I KNOW I am far less dexterous than I used to be.

IF you are pretty much on a fixed schedule of turning down and up the temperature settings, about the same time every day, then an automatic "set back" thermostat would definitely be a recommended upgrade. You can get them with programming that allows for a different schedule for weekends (called a 5/2 model) or for independent schedules for each day of the week. Since I am retired and on no fixed schedule (I might be up at 3 AM one day and sound asleep at that time on another day) with no rhyme or reason, I have to use manual set back control.

Old 02-05-16, 08:27 AM
B
The new one i am asking about , looks like this,The old one is gold colored thank you for your reply bob s

Old 02-05-16, 09:06 AM
B
In answer to your post Furd,My wife says ,,I am showing my age too. I get cold quicker and to warm, at times.The thermostats- Where do i find these digital T-stats. The "nest" one advertised on Tv was disappointing as far as $250.00. tag on it.I am at an impasse on this honeywell.Any thing else you guys can help with? i am listening and learning bob s

Old 02-05-16, 09:18 AM
F
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of thermostats available so you need to give me some information to work with.

How much money do you want to spend?

Do you want auto temperature reset? If yes, do you want 5/2 (week/weekend) programming or 5/1/1 or full 7 day capability?

What kind of heating system do you have? single stage (i.e off/on) furnace? Two-stage (off/lo/high) furnace? Electric furnace? Heat pump with electric back-up or heat pump with a gas-fired furnace back up?

Wi-Fi or other remote control capabilities desired or required?

Programmed "fan only" desired or required?

Old 02-06-16, 07:48 AM
B
Its your common everyday,wall mount- honeywell A/c and heat --t-stat, little round and gold color. Sorry for not being more thorugh in my description............. Natural gas. home furnace.I'll spend $50.00 to get what....I....can use. 90 % fuel efficient..........off /on electric no wi-fi stuff.. yes HEAT/KOOL fan--.Automatic. This oughta get some resultsaaayy- great. appreciated the correction in my post bob s anything i missed ?

Old 02-07-16, 02:27 PM
F
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I went to visit a friend on Saturday and didn't even turn on the computer when I got back.

Here is the model I would recommend. A Robertshaw RS6110. It might be a few dollars more than $50 with the shipping. I found two sources, both companies are reliable.

RS6110 - Robertshaw RS6110 - Digital 7 Day Programmable Thermostat Heat Pump/Single Stage (1 Heat/1 Cool)

Robertshaw Low V T-Stat, Stages Heat 1, Stages Cool 1 RS6110 | Zoro.com

Old 02-08-16, 09:20 AM
B
Thank you Furd but this link says heat pump for is application. Can it be used on Nat gas looks good bob s

Old 02-21-16, 06:31 AM
B
Thanks Furd ...no problem,,,Knew you'd be back bob s good day to ya