Forced Air Heating Blower short cycles

Old 02-08-16, 12:54 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Forced Air Heating Blower short cycles

I have an oil fired furnace hydronic forced air heating system. The second floor zone blower unit constantly short-cycles. It will run for about 30 seconds then shut off for a minute or two and then run for about 30 seconds again and so on. This keeps happening until the t'stat is satisfied. What would be causing this?

Old 02-08-16, 04:27 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
There are several possible reasons depending on the control scheme. Has it always done this or is this a recent development? Has any work been done on any part of the system recently?

Old 02-08-16, 05:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We recently had one zone eliminated, old hot water heater replaced with new propane fired unit. But it is something that's been happening for some time now.

Old 02-08-16, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Often the fans on hydronic fan coils are controlled by water temperature. If the sensor is not tight against the pipe, you will get erratic fan operation. Another possibility is the sensor itself could be the source of the trouble. Still another is the water actually cooling faster than it used to maybe due to insulation on the pipes being lost. A problem like this can take a lot of investigation.

Old 02-09-16, 05:04 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I haven't forgotten you but it may be a few days before I can make much of a response. Grady has given you some things to check.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: