Need a little help with a Lennox Gas Furnace not lighting

Old 02-08-16, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a little help with a Lennox Gas Furnace not lighting

I have a Lennox GHR26 that I've been having increasing problems with to the point where I can't get it to run heat at all. Its was manufactured in 97, house built in 98. It has a Honeywell gas valve (VR2805M)

Upon calling for heat, the unit will come on, I can see the hot surface ignitor glow red, so thats working. But no flame ever ignites to be sensed. It will go through this cycle 4 times before locking out. I checked vacuum function and it seemed to be working. Had replaced the heat sensor when it was having less of an issue and worked for a while. So I figured it was the valve at this point.

Code lights show an issue with gas supply. So I have either installed another bad valve, as I bought a used one, or maybe pressure is too low at inlet or outlet?

Any other ideas? I feel like I've done the right research, but I'm getting frustrated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-16, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you tried cleaning the pilot orifice? Sounds like it's clogged.

Old 02-08-16, 07:33 PM
Carbide: you mean on the burner itself or the brass orifice feeding it?

In a last ditch effort, I tried to manually light it. Fired right up. I now realize I should have probably tried this before ordering a valve, but it was cheap enough to try. Is there potential that the surface ignitor is not getting hot enough? It looked pretty dang hot, but I was reading a few other threads where it should get "white hot". Mine gets to a very bright red/orange.

Old 02-08-16, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 382 Posts
You have a direct ignition HSI system.... no pilot light.

It could be the igniter is not hot enough. It could also be plugged ports/holes near the igniter where the burner lights.

The igniter warms up, the gas valve opens and the igniter shuts off, 4 seconds later the valve shuts off. You should hear the control relay and the gas valve opening and closing.

Old 02-09-16, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<< Is there potential that the surface ignitor is not getting hot enough? It looked pretty dang hot, >>

I would say that the odds are good that the problem is that the burner is dirty in the area near the spark, so the proper gas for the spark is not available.

Clean that burner, or at least the part near the spark electrode with a wire brush.

Is there junk, rust or debris on the burners? If so, they should all be taken out and cleaned.

Dirty burners can cause the furnace to get plugged up with soot and make large amounts of carbon monoxide. You don't want dirty burners!