Nordyne furnace: inducer on, igniter heats, but no ignition

Old 02-08-16, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nordyne furnace: inducer on, igniter heats, but no ignition

Model G6RC 120c-20c
Thermal zone (nordyne)

The furnace will occasionally blink for the pressure switch stuck closed, but mostly displays normal.

Tried tapping on the gas valve with no luck. Replaced pressure switch and checked for blockages in tubes. This happened right after I replaced the upper limit switch.

Cleaned the flame sensor, and I'm having a hard time troubleshooting.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-16, 10:45 PM
With no error codes I'm not getting signal to open the gas valve. Tested with a new gas valve I took out of the box.

Old 02-08-16, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You'll need to check for 24vac from the control board to operate the gas valve. The igniter preheats for 30 seconds.... then 24vac is applied to the gas valve..... 5 seconds later the igniter turns off. If you don't get the 24v at the appropriate time then the control board could be defective.

This is a download link to your manual. Towards the end is the order of heating and diagnostics.
Download Nordyne G6RC 90+ Installation Instructions Manual

Old 02-08-16, 11:51 PM
Thank you PJmax,

I actually just finished swapping the control board and it made no difference. I'll be breaking out the multimeter tomorrow to make sure all the wires are complete. I did not have the manual til this point, so I greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-09-16, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go back to basics:

Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace.

Carefully observe the SEQUENCE of events which occurs.

Post that sequence, in order and in detail, here.

Old 02-09-16, 05:58 PM
I fixed it,

I went back through and replaced all the hoses, checked all the wires for continuity, reseated all the connections, then cycled the whole system off and back on. Works like she's brand new now.

Old 02-09-16, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... then it looks like you had a wiring issue from the board to the gas valve. That is fairly common.

That nine pin plug and jack are particularly prone to corrosion as they are only steel pins. If you have further problems.... check that area first. A small bit of contact cleaner sprayed on the plug... and putting the plug into the board will clean it.

Name:  gbrc.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  30.9 KB

Old 02-12-16, 09:38 PM
It kicked off again today and I found the underlying issue. My blower motor is biting the dust. I undid the panel and watched it while I held down the switch. When it tried to kick on from a dead stop it would barely move. I spun it with my hand and it kicked on fully. Tried again and the same thing. Checked the power coming in and it was fine so now I have a new motor. On the way.

Old 02-13-16, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
It could also be a defective capacitor. Hopefully you ordered a new capacitor for your new motor.

Old 02-14-16, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<< When it tried to kick on from a dead stop it would barely move. I spun it with my hand and it kicked on fully.>>

The purpose of the capacitor is to give the motor extra torque to get started. Then the capacitor is switched out of the circuit altogether.

So replacing just the capacitor is worth a try, especially since the cap is cheap and easy to replace.