Help - advise with oil furnace + copper lines

Old 02-10-16, 04:51 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - advise with oil furnace + copper lines

Hi - I'm new here - my first post - I live in ontario, canada. I have one oil furnace running from a 900 L Oil tank (it has a copper 3/8" supply line) - Can I run a second supply line from the same oil tank to a second furnace ??(ie - run two furnaces from one oil tank) - or is this contrary to code

My second question - if I can hook up a second furnace - I know I probably have to run the same 3/8" copper oil supply line - but I have the option of running it under a concrete floor in some old unused heating ducts (yes completely unused for the last 40 years) - for ease of installation can I run flexible rubber fuel line in the ducting - then when it comes out of the floor just use a hoseclamp to connect it to the copper line again ? (ie use the flexible fuel line only under the concrete floor where it is protected) - if I can do this is there any specific grade of fuel line I must use for code ??

Note - the first oil furnace heats a 2000 sq ft shop attached to my home - the second furnace is one that heats my home - at present it has a separate 680 L tank that is in bad shape and needs to be either replaced or eliminated (if I can hook up both furnaces to one tank)- and I'd really like to only have one oil tank for both furnaces.

Thanks for any help !

Old 02-10-16, 06:42 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Hi, Steve, welcome to the best DIY forum on the Internet.

I don't know anything about the safety codes in your area however I do have a few general comments. these are, of course, my personal opinions and you will need to verify with your LOCAL code enforcement office.

Yes, you may run a second furnace from the tank. You may need to have some special fittings depending on exactly how the tank is currently piped but I see no reason why it can't be done. As previously stated, your LOCAL code may not agree with me.

No, you may NOT run any flexible hose through the underground duct, or at least not and have it be considered a "workmanlike installation" which is often a criteria written into codes. It is, in my opinion, truly a hack job. In fact, in the US any underground fuel piping, even in an existing duct (assuming this duct is not suitable for human passage) is required to be in a containment system to prevent leaks into the environment in case the actual piping material fails. Simply slipping a "rubber" (including synthetic rubber-like materials) hose over the end of a copper tube and securing it with a hose clamp is again a hack job. Use ONLY properly made up flared fittings when using copper tubing with fuel oil, not even compression fittings are acceptable. Do not use Teflon tape on pipe threads with a fuel oil system as it will leak. In the US I recommend nothing but Permatex Number 2 pipe thread compound for fuel oil.

Old 02-11-16, 01:00 PM
S
Hi Furd - thanks for the input - I am not too worried about underground containment as the ducting is completely encased in concrete - but it sounds like I need to use proper fittings (non-compression) if and where I actually have to break or join the copper lines - assuming I don't have to have one continuous copper line supplying the furnace.

Old 02-11-16, 07:41 PM
C
I've seen many multi-furnace setups run from the same oil tank with separate or a common shared line. If it were my choice, separate lines for each burner and NO WAY use rubber anything for oil line use. ONLY copper tubing and if need be, flared couplings to extend the line length. Speaking of line length, anything over 50 feet is better off with 1/2" line.

Old 02-12-16, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I would put in a Tee for the 2 lines as soon after the tank as possible. This will help prevent one appliance from "stealing" oil from the other.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: