Outside unit works but inside fan will not blow.

Old 04-12-01, 08:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I have a Reem H/C unit inside and out. The outside unit will run just fine while using AC but the inside unit seems to freeze up. The fan on the inside unit will not blow air. There appears to be more water than usual which leads me to think it is freezing then thawing. The filter was quite wet. It is HOT and we have 3 little kids with bad allergies. I need to find out whats wrong with it so we can shut our windows. Any shared ideas would be great. My husband is an electrician so he may be able to fix it if we knew the problem. Thanks!!

Old 04-13-01, 02:47 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
First

Make sure drain from unit is not plugged.Second,make sure evap coil is not plugged.Third,have husband remove panel to unit.This will gain him access to blower motor.WITH power off he should check to see if blower wheel turns freely.Itf it does not bearings are bad.If it turns but not to good have him oil bearings and manually rotate blower wheel back and forth to allow oil to get to bearings.Allow about a half hour for oil to soak in.Last, have him check voltage to motor,have him check to make sure that blower relay has 24 volts on coil.There is also a fan capacitor.If it went bad the motor my try to run but will kick off on its internal overload.PDF If there is 24 volts to relay but relay will not energize or pull in,he can place a jumper across the 120 volt connections to start blower until he can stop by a supply house for a new relay.

Old 04-25-01, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
But the fans works with the air conditioner.

Old 04-25-01, 07:59 PM
HVAC Man
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by eggmelia
But the fans works with the air conditioner.
The fan on the inside unit will not blow air

So which is it?
does the fan work? do you feel air at the register to the Furnace? if you feel air, but it's not cold, and it is freezing, and thawing, you either have a low charged system, Plugged evap coil, fan not pushing enough CFM, (speed to slow)
what You can do, Get a thermometer Check the temperature of the return air, and check the temperature of the supply air, see what the difference is in the two measurements, and try to take the measurements at equal lenghts from the furnace, in the ducts, (3 feet)

Old 04-26-01, 08:04 AM
Visiting Guest
I am sorry I said the opposite of what I meant. The fan works with the furnace. Not the air conditioner. When the air conditioner is on the fan does not blow at all. No matter how low I turn it down. The outside unit is running. We just have no air coming out of the vents inside the house. The unit inside the house does not make any sound at all.NOW........when the furnace is running the fan runs just fine. I am sorry I messed up in my last post. I constantly have someone talking in my ear.

Old 04-26-01, 11:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Indoor Fan not working

Hi,

Sounds like you may not be getting power but to one speed on your Blower.This could be a Faulty relay,Fan Circuit Board,Bad wire,etc.... Have your husband remove panels to reveal wiring controls and then look at wiring schematic and trace circuit from t-stat back to Blower/Fan motor.The Green (G) wire coming out of t-stat wire coming into Furnace from t-stat is your Blower/Fan wire from t-stat, just follow it from there, both visually and by schematic.You could change to lower speed to see if Fan/Blower would run in lower speed with A/C going,BUT, DO NOT do it long or leave that way,only for long enough to see if it works.He could quickly trace circuit on schematic to find High-Speed wire circuit from Relay/Board to Fan/Blower and then use a Volt Meter to see if High-Speed is Powered or not.If not,trace back to find interruption.If the fan is getting full voltage and not turning and you have tried oiling the bearings,replace the fan motor,but I would look closely to see why any component failed before replacing.Take Care.

CoolBreeze

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: