York P3UR furnance has no power,

Old 04-23-16, 11:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York P3UR furnance has no power,

I have a York P3uR furnace that is not getting any power to it, I have checked the breaker and the fuse on the furnace, they all seem ok- what could be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-16, 12:01 PM
S
Are you using a voltmeter?

Old 04-23-16, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,189 Votes on 1,100 Posts
It's nice to have the complete model number as P3UR is a group number.

What fuse on the furnace ? On a control board ?
You need to check for 24vac at the transformer or fan center.

Old 04-23-16, 01:45 PM
B
Model P3urd14n09501, Yes I have a volt meter, and cannot find any power on the Furnace, The fuse is on the Power on and off switch. No blinking red lite either. Simply no power.

Also, the Fan will not work, and the A/C will not start or work either.

Old 04-23-16, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Start at the breaker box.

Be sure the breaker is on and not tripped.

Check to be sure you have 120 VAC on the power input to the furnace breaker --- you could have no power to one leg of the power supply.

Then check to be sure you have 120 VAC to the side of the breaker going to the furnace. (The breaker can be defective or tripped, even if you think it isn't.

Then check to be sure that the power switch at the furnace is turned on.

Check to be sure you have power to and from that switch.

Check to be sure you have 120 VAC at the furnace itself.

Check to be sure that the furnace blower door is in place if the switch isn;'t depressed by the door, there is no power to the furnace.

Check to be sure you have 120 VAC to and from the door switch when you hold it in.

Check to be sure you have 120 VAC to the transformer primary, and 24 VAC from the transformer output.

Check to verify that you have 24 VAC at the input and output of the fuse on the circuit board.

If that doesn't identify the problem, get back to us.

Old 04-26-16, 09:12 AM
B
Ok, I have 120v power to the Furnace and to the Control board, and to the Transformer, the bottom two connectors read 120v, however the upper two connectors do not read anything, one wire is brown and one is blue, I assume that is the output ---
I cannot find a fuse on the Control board , can you give me a tip on where to look- I am 79 YO so its hard to get up and down.

I am wondering what the Transformer controls, will it stop the A/C from working---

Will it stop the Inducer motor from working,

Old 04-26-16, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Ok....so you have measured 120v power to the transformer and nothing out. That indicates a defective transformer.

The transformer controls everything. It powers the thermostat and the control board. Without 24vac.... nothing will operate.

If you have a control board like in the picture below.... then there is no fuse. Since the transformer will need to be replaced.... you can install a 4A fuse in line with one of the secondary transformer lines to protect it in the future.

There is a possibility that you have a short in your thermostat wiring or the wiring to the outside condensor which caused the transformer to burn out.

Name:  board.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 04-26-16, 11:45 AM
B
Transformer

OK, PJ, I will order a new Transformer today, hope that is all there is to it, I will check for a short, not sure where to start on that one.

Old 04-26-16, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Don't forget a fuse and holder. The type is unimportant. We use the following.... it uses the plastic car type fuses. You'd want the 4A fuses which are pink. These fuse holders are available in most auto parts stores. The one in the picture is waterproof with a cap. You don't need a waterproof one.

You'll need an ohmmeter to check for shorts. If you replace the transformer and there is a short with no fuse protection.... the new transformer will fry and quit.

Name:  15a-waterproof-fuse-holder-medium.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  17.3 KB

Old 04-26-16, 12:51 PM
<<I will check for a short, not sure where to start on that one. >>

As suggested by PJ Max, the most common reason for a blown low voltage fuse/burned out transformer is that a thermostat wire got caught in some sheet metal ductwork, cutting into the insulation on a thermostat wire and allowing the 24 VAC on the thermostat wire to short to ground.

Disconnect the thermostat wires at the furnace and use a multimeter to check each wire for resistance to the furnace sheet metal. A sort will be indicated by zero ohms resistance.

You can also visually examine the thermostat wire to see if you can find where it might be pinched or cut by the furnace sheet metal.

If you find a defect, wrap the cut insulation with electrical tape.

Old 04-26-16, 04:29 PM
B
Explain a little better where I should place this Fush holder, Secondary line, do you mean the 24v line or where the power enters on the 120v line. I need a good picture of where this thing goes.

Old 04-26-16, 04:33 PM
B
Seattle and PJ, While looking at the Thermostat with the cover off, I did notice a red wire that was not connected, it was setting on the Jumper wire terminal
, I am not sure where this wire is supposed to go, I am wondering if that could be my problem , I have my t-stat book but its a bit confusing to me-

Old 04-26-16, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
The fuse holder goes in either secondary (24v) line.

A red wire can usually be found connected to the R terminal on the stat. There may be a jumper from R to Rh or Rc.
You can confirm wiring connections by finding the thermostat wires where they connect to the furnace control board.

Old 04-27-16, 08:47 AM
B
Ok, I will install the Fush in the 24v line, this confuses me a little bit as I thought the 24v was the output from the transformer, -----can you explain that one a little bit.

I did reinstall the Red wire to the Rh jumper terminal, that is where I found it floating unconnected, I tried to see if it made any difference to the Furnace operation, It did not, still powerless.

That red wire I am speaking about, goes to the 24v (Heat-Cool) 24v supply-

Last edited by Bilhar381; 04-27-16 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added note about where the red wire goes
Old 04-27-16, 08:53 AM
B
Looking at this picture and your suggestion of auto parts store, I recall that I purchased one of these for my Riding Lawn Mower, I think I installed it on the mower but I do know where to get one, Auto Zone.

This is in reference to the Fush holder , suggested by PJ

Last edited by Bilhar381; 04-27-16 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-27-16, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, I will install the Fuse in the 24v line, this confuses me a little bit as I thought the 24v was the output from the transformer, -----can you explain that one a little bit.
Yes.... the 24vac is the output or secondary of the transformer. The fuse will be in series in either of the 24vac lines.

New furnace boards come with that type of fuse right on the board.

Be sure to pick up some spare fuses. ATC-4

Old 05-02-16, 05:38 PM
B
Well guys the new Transformer arrived today from Midwest A/c Supply along with a new door switch. I also purchased a Fush holder, I intalled all of them and "Walla", everything is now working.

I want to thank both you and Seattle for the help and tips you gave me, I would be lost without your help and out a couple hundred bucks without it. My total cost is about $70 bucks for all of the parts, T-former, door switch, Fush holder, connectors etc.

Again thanks a bunch for the help. Bill Harrington

Old 05-02-16, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Your are very welcome. Thanks for letting us know all went well.

At least now you have a fuse protecting the transformer so that if another short occurs it won't harm the new transformer.

Old 05-02-16, 07:58 PM
Did you decide what was causing tshort circuit and for the transformer to burn out?