Goodman blower motor wiring

Old 05-31-16, 07:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman blower motor wiring

I'm replacing my goodman furnace blower motor my question is what speed goes to heat, cool, M1 and m2. My motor has a neut, run cap wires and a black red blue and orange. My guess is the black lands on the cool terminal so the A coil won't turn to ice but I'm just guessing

Old 05-31-16, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,424 Upvotes on 3,070 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Black ---- high speed
Blue ----- medium high speed
Orange -- medium speed
Red ------ low speed

Usually the high speed(black) is used for cool.
You could be using blue or orange for heat. Red is rarely used for heat. The heat speed is determined by the temperature rise thru the furnace. What speed was previously used for heat ?

The extra two wires just go to M1 and M2 which are dead terminals just used for extra speeds parking.

Old 05-31-16, 09:01 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok that's what I'm looking for I'm not sure why it's so hard to find out what speed is for what other than it dosnt really matter and the purpose of a multi speed motor is purely for jacking up the price. I did realize that the orange wire was caped so I won't land that wire. My other question is is it true that when you switch the stat to fan on the motor speed will run on low speed

Old 05-31-16, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,424 Upvotes on 3,070 Posts
Like I mentioned.... the high speed is usually used for cool. With most systems.... when you put the stat in FAN ON mode it uses the cool blower line.

When you put the stat in heat mode.... a slower (heat) speed is used to allow the air to flow thru the heat exchanger and heat to the correct temperature. If the air moves thru the exchanger too fast you get a lot of coolish warm air. If it moves thru the exchanger too slow it comes out extremely hot and the furnace risks overheating.

If orange was previously capped off then use blue for the heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: