Changing my filter on my furnace

Old 09-09-16, 11:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing my filter on my furnace

I recently moved into my house and am trying to find proper instructions on how to install a new air filter on my furnace. Currently there is not one installed. My furnace is a Ducane Gas Furnace Horizontal 80 (Model no. FPBB075A3B Serial no. 1578510251 20533402). The user manual that Ducane emailed specifies the filter size (13x23) but does not help in showing how or where to install it. It also states that I should refer to the existing filter to determine whether or not I should use a disposable or a re-usable filter but unfortunately I do not have an existing filter to go off of. To make it even more interesting it finally states that if I have a "central return air filter-grille" then I do not need a filter. How can I check?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-16, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check your return grille and see if there is a filter behind it.

Old 09-09-16, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Most forced air systems have multiple return grilles. If you have a system that was installed after the house was built.... you may have one large return grill. You couldn't miss it..... as it would always be dust covered. The filter could be behind that grill.

I looked up your furnace and see that it's a horizontal style. If it's in the attic then there is most likely one large return grill in the hall.

If the filter were at the unit it would be at the end of the furnace where the blower is. See blue line and arrow. You could also open the blower door and look into the duct work from there.

Name:  ducane.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  23.6 KB