Moved to house with forced hot air

Old 10-05-16, 02:37 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moved to house with forced hot air

--should have said 'moved to house...'

All that work learning how to maintain a boiler.... *sighs*

So, new (old) house has a Lenox furnace. I am told we should replace the air filter before the heating season (especially since we did a bunch of work prior to move in).

We currently have a Purolator P5 2000 filter. Its nominal size is 20x25x5. From googling, I see that this is a MERV 8 filter.

I've been told that buying through a HVAC supply house is better than through the box stores in terms of quality. I would definitely do that, except the closest HVAC supply place that sells to consumers is a 45 minute round trip and I dont have that kind of time to spare these days.

My question is this: is Purolator a good brand? I see, on Amazon, something as it being an 'Air Bear' replacement?

I guess I am looking for guidance: what is a decent quality air filter that I can get shipped to me from a reputable place? Am I looking for Purolator or am I looking for Air Bear? I have also read that one should exercise caution when going up in MERV rating (I have found MERV 11 filters that seem like they would work)... something about having an HVAC pro adjust the fan to compensate for more resistance through higher MERV filter...

Any advice would be appreciated!
--K

Old 10-05-16, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Personally I prefer cheap filter that cost a dollar or so.

The main purpose of furnace filters is to prevent the fan and fan motor from getting loaded with dust and dirt. Cheap filters do that just fine.

The money spent on expensive filters is just a waste in my opinion/experience.

Do you have a family members with notable respiratory problems? That's really the only reason I might spend more money on filters ----and I have no confidence that's going to make any real difference.

Old 10-05-16, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Additionally.... you wouldn't want to go much finer than Merv 8 either.
I, too, use those basic fiberglass filters at most of my jobs.

Old 10-05-16, 07:07 PM
S
Thanks for replies!

I do have asthma and have young children, so I don't want to "actively encourage" them from developing asthma (nor do I know that one filter over another would "cause asthma")

So only the size of the filter matters? Stay merv 8 or below?

No need to look for purolater brand?

Old 10-05-16, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I've never actually seen the Purolater line of HVAC filters. The MERV rating is something that all companies need to adhere to.

If you go to high a value you get better filtering but your heat rise in your furnace could increase to an unacceptable level and cause the furnace to overheat.

Old 10-06-16, 07:07 AM
S
That is just the brand of filter currently in the furnace from previous owner.

So, just look for a MERV 8 filter 20x25x5? Brand doesnt matter?

Appreciate the help. I am sure this is not as complicated as I am making it

Old 10-06-16, 07:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
As stated, the furnace filter is just to keep dirt out of the furnace, it's not an air cleaner. I just buy the cheap ones at the big box store as well.

Old 10-06-16, 08:06 AM
S
gotcha. So I am looking for 20x25x5, MERV 8 or less.

Looks like we have what used to be an electrostatic filter, but its off. Honeywell F37A1064

Dont know if that matters.

The nominal size is above, but the actual size on the filters I am taking out is 19 5/8" x 24 1/4" x 4 3/4". Its pretty tight, so I am guessing I need to REALLY pay attention to that as well...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: