oil furnace keeps dying

Old 11-13-16, 05:27 PM
oil furnace keeps dying

Help PLEASE, My beckett oil furnace keeps dying on me, I have renewed the lift pump filter, fitted new nozzle and adjusted the electrodes. It started no problem after I did all this, it has run fine since Wednesday and now died, will not fire on reset, have bled fuel line, no air, am not too well up on this but doing my best. Would REALLY appreciate any help, thanks, Jim.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-16, 06:08 PM
Upvotes Received: 26
What do you mean by lift pump?
Anyway of knowing nozzle pressure and pump suction? Pump strainer clean?

Old 11-13-16, 06:45 PM
Hi, pump on side of unit, ( I was a motor mechanic so wrong term )pipe from tank comes to little pump on unit, small filter ( strainer ) inside that. I have no idea how to check any pressures, I have let it sit now for more than an hour and I just reset it and started. This is happening frequently, thanks

Old 11-13-16, 07:34 PM
Upvotes Received: 26
That's the fuel pump on the burner. Fuel is under negative suction from there to the dip tube inlet in the tank.
If it doesn't fire do NOT keep pressing the reset as fuel can build up in the chamber and explode.
Almost sounds like it's loosing prime or pulling air.
It should have a replaceable oil filter in addition to the strainer on the pump.

Old 11-14-16, 03:47 AM
I actually bought and, replaceable filter and fitted it, when I did the problem seemed to get worse and I thought maybe fuel was running back and drawing air, so removed it all again, when It stopped last night, I left it for an hour before trying it, I cracked the bleed nipple, did not seem to have air, Then reset it and it has run all night,Is driving me mad lol , appreciate your time, thanks again. Is there a non return valve I could fit in fuel line, or would that not help?

Old 11-14-16, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you only have one line between the tank & pump, DO NOT install a check valve. To do so could cause the seal in the pump to fail.

With it not firing until after sitting an hour, I am suspecting a clogged fuel line or a slipping pump coupling between the motor & pump. To check for a clog: Valve off the tank & disconnect the fuel line from the pump. Place the end of the fuel line in a container which will hold at least a gallon & turn the fuel valve back on. If you get a good steady flow of oil for at least 1/2 gallon, the line is not clogged.

There are other possibilities but lets take care of the ease stuff first.

Old 11-27-16, 04:30 AM
Sorry for delay gettang back, furnace ran for a week with no problem , then stopped, I got an airline and blew through feed pipe into a bucket and all seemed clear, bled system and it fired second time, thx again for help