York Diamond 90 furnace problems

Old 11-22-16, 06:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 90 furnace problems

I have a york diamond 90 and cycles up like it should, inducer fan kicks on, HSI comes on, gas valve clicks, then only one burner by the HSI fires for a couple seconds then goes out. Does 3 cycles the blower kicks on and led light blinks 7 times. Happened last night and I cleaned flame sensor did the same thing. I shut it down and cycled it through 6 or so times then it finally worked. Not working again... need advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-16, 08:25 PM
Even a clean flame sensor won't sense anything until it is engulfed in a flame. Failing to do so within a couple seconds will shut down the gas supply. Therefore you first need to concentrate on getting all the burner lit. Each of your abutting burners should have channels called flame spreaders or runners. They should be clean and aligned so the flame from one jumps to the next, and so on. This should occur quickly putting your clean sensor into a flame to actually sense. There are youtube videos that show this if you need a visual. -If the flame never made the trip I would suggest other possibilities but you claim it does-

Old 11-23-16, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your York burners have rust in them that needs to be cleaned out.
Sometimes the burners can be cleaned in place but usually they're removed.

If the other burners never light you could have plugged orifices too.

I'd call the gas supplier and see if they can send a serviceman out to clean it. The gas companies usually have some good guys available for gas appliance repairs.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-23-16 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-23-16, 07:52 PM
Mentioning that the burners did occasionally work led me to believe that the orifices were probably not plugged. Lacking that I would have suggested checking them. For that same reason I didn't mention a possible problem in pressure output at the gas valve. I believe and stated, like you, that the problem is flame propagation failure with a need for cleaning and/or aligning.
Mr jbeard, one thing I overlooked is a suggestion to keep your face away from open burners prior to this issue being resolved. Ignition after a few failed tries can result in a surprising boom.