Some vents only have small amount of warm air blowing out?

Old 11-22-16, 07:41 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Some vents only have small amount of warm air blowing out?

My bedroom have two vents and the air coming out is so much less compare to our living room. The furnace is sitting in the center in the basement. So, before I call professionals to come over, what should I be checking first? What are some things I can do before paying for someone to come over, diagnose, and fix it for me? My bedroom is like 7 degrees lower than our living/kitchen and the rest of the rooms in the house.

By the way, we use natural gas for our heating.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 11-22-16, 11:10 PM
Received 1,103 Upvotes on 1,003 Posts
The very first thing to check is to confirm if there are any dampers that are closed. I've had one once where the arm fell off and had to take the duct apart to reinstall.

Next, take a look at the routing, is it really long branches to the bedroom vs other rooms? Try closing outer dampers to see if air flow increases, at least than may confirm that it's functioning correctly.

Old 11-23-16, 04:50 AM
C
There are no air dampers close in this particular air duct that goes into our bedroom. The distance is not that long either compare to other rooms since the furnace/blower is right in the middle and we have range style type house. The only thing I've noticed is that the room in the basement where the air duct goes to our room the ceiling is not finish. It is exposed while all other rooms in the basement has finish drop ceiling done. I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I wonder if wrapping the air duct will make any difference.

Old 11-23-16, 07:57 AM
S
Received 132 Upvotes on 124 Posts
C,
The ceiling or wrapping the duct have nothing to do with your problem and would not increase your airflow. Are you saying you have no dampers at all in the system? With warm air that's how you balance the system. If you have none that's a good place to start. That will give you the same amount of air to each room. The other thing you can check is the pipe sizes going to the rooms and how it's laid out.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-16, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have some warm air registers with a lot of warm air coming out?

Furnaces produce a limited amount of warm air. If it's all coming out a few vents, there wont be enough to pressurize the ductwork to carry warm air to more remote warm air vents.

If this sounds like the problem, you can experiment with REDUCING the air flow to the vents with the most air coming out, and see if that improves the air flow to the vents that are a problem.

Old 12-12-16, 05:22 AM
C
Yes, I sense that there is not just enough air coming out. The vents that are closer to the furnace have plenty of air and are very hot. So, here's what I'm thinking.
  1. Close or half close the vents that have a lot air blowing and hot
  2. Dampening the air dock that goes to these rooms that does not need that much heat
  3. Turn up the thermostat

If I do all of the above, will I see the cost of heating goes up due to raising the thermostat temperature?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: