Pilot light not staying on, need help

Old 12-06-16, 10:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light not staying on, need help

I just had my meter changed out and they turned off my furnace. Upon turning back on the pilot light wont stay on. The technician changed the thermocouple to a new one but still no luck.

The pilot light lights and stays on but when you go to turn the switch from pilot to on it goes out right away.

It has a relatively large orange flame and is lacking the blue color.

I believe this may be a dirty orifice. Would this be correct? If so, how would I go about cleaning this safely?

Old 12-07-16, 07:15 PM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a dirty pilot for sure. Could you call the utility and have them make repairs since they ignitiated the work. They should make it right. You may need to be firm.

Old 12-11-16, 09:43 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
the only way to fix this is to pull the assembly and orifice.

the orifice may be a separate piece or it may be crimped on to the pilot line. there's a nut that you undo.

you can stick something very thin through the orifice like a bristle of a broom to clean it. anything you stick in should be much thinner than the hole.

it's tricky and you can kink the aluminum line. you have to test connections with soap and water after for leaks.

you need an open end wrench for the pilot line and possibly screw drives or socket set to undo the pilot assembly from the burner.

not comfortable doing this? call a contractor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: